    that it was most likely intended to be viewed in 1.85:1. See second post
    in this thread:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...axd=9&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1999&lr=lang_en&hl=en

    Dan_Musicant, Jul 9, 2004

  2. I just watched this the other day, in a 1.85:1 transfer from Platinum Home
    Entertainment. It's a decent enough copy, looks like it came off a
    widescreen laserdisc. Looks about as good as a DVD I might make at home
    off a laserdisc, anyway.

    I've compared a few of these. The Platinum version (in a clear, hard
    plastic case) is the best I've seen yet. Far better than the Front Row
    Entertainment release, and assuming there *is* a Madacy copy, it's
    probably better off avoided (if only for th epure pleasure of not giving
    money to Madacy).

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Dan_Musicant

    User102154 Guest

    I have the Platinum version and it is pretty good, much better then vhs quality
    anyway, very few artifacts and easily watchable. It is widescreen but
    non-anamorphic. I have not viewed the other version, but knowing that none of
    them are exactly pristine, I am happy with this version and would recommend it
    until something better comes along.

    User102154, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Definitely better than VHS, although it would make sense for Paramount to
    get a decent transfer of this out there, now that Brando's been in the
    news so much. While watching the Platinum copy, I kept thinking "Wow,
    imagine how great this would look if someone actually did a professional
    transfer of it..." VistaVision has the potential for a great looking
    image, although considering the lacklustre job Paramount did on To Catch A
    Thief, maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Dan_Musicant

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    :
    :On 9 Jul 2004, User102154 wrote:
    :
[...]

    I got my Diamond Entertainment version today and watched the first 20
    minutes of it. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to find that it's
    non-anamorphic. The quality is so so at best. Didn't notice any terrible
    problems in those first 20 minutes. I'm not really sure that it's better
    than an SVHS treatment would be, to be honest. Doubtful. It IS 1.85:1,
    not the 2.35:1 that DVD Profiler said it was, and this is what I
    expected.

    Maybe the Platinum version is better quality, but I don't think I'd
    consider buying another verion unless Paramount puts out an anamorphic
    reproduction on DVD. That would probably be a real significant
    improvement.

    Dan

    Dan_Musicant, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Basically, the Platinum version looks about as good as a DVD you'd make on
    a home computer using the widescreen laserdisc. Lord knows how this became
    public domain, but I'm hoping Paramount still has original
    VistaVision elements on this and could do a spectacular anamorphic
    transfer.

    Then again, hearing Bob Harris talk about the horrible condition of To
    Catch a Thief elements, which was made only a few years before, maybe I
    shouldn't get my hopes up.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 21, 2004