    would b great.

    thanks ,

    J Hamer

    Guest, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    you need to have SFS consistently set on each computer.

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    local users authenticate as themselves".

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    "Guest only", enable the Guest account, using Start - Run - "cmd" - type "net
    user guest /active:yes" in the command window. If "Classic", setup and use a
    common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever account is used, give it
    an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

    On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
    Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest with Start - Run -
    "cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window.

    On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
    Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
    on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
    network". Make sure Guest is not in the list.

    Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
    so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
    very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

    Finally, look at registry key [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa], value
    restrictanonymous.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/46688.asp>
    <http://www.jsifaq.com/subf/tip2600/rh2625.htm>
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246261
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296403

    The above articles refer to Windows 2000. Remember WinXP is NT V5.1, and Win2K
    is NT V5.0.

    Have you used the Registry Editor before? If not, it's a scary tool, but it's
    pretty simple once you get used to it. Here are a couple articles that might
    help:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...home/using/productdoc/en/tools_regeditors.asp>
    <http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry>

    Just remember to backup the key (create a registry patch) for
    [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa] before making any changes, if
    appropriate.

    From the Annoyances article:
    You can create a Registry patch by opening the Registry Editor, selecting a
    branch, and choosing Export from the File menu. Then, specify a filename, and
    press OK. You can then view the Registry patch file by opening it in Notepad
    (right-click on it and select Edit). Again, just double-click on a Registry
    patch file (or use Import in the Registry Editor's File menu) to apply it to the
    registry.

    Chuck, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    chuck , thanks for your help. worked like a charm the problem was in the
    Local Security Policies. I feel like a noob again!!!!!! Thanks again

    J. Hamer

    Guest, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    My pleasure. My personal opinion - if you never feel like a noob, you aren't
    learning.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Chuck, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    chuck , now that i think about it your statement is so true!!!

    Thanks again for all your help

    J Hamer

    Guest, Dec 7, 2004