    I thought the film was excellent right to until the end of prohibition.
    After that it becomes too slow and too melodramatic for its own good. It's
    an OK film but definately not a Godfather killer.

    Goldfinger, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Goldfinger

    John Guest

    I thought there was a good two and a half hour movie in there somewhere.
    Maybe I was just letdown by the hype. Better than 'The Godfather'? No
    Way... Better than 'Goodfellas'? No way.

    But not too bad.

    John, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Goldfinger

    Evander Guest

    They did cut it down to fit a two hour window on TV. That's where I first
    discoverd Once Upon a Time in America. I love it and Once Upon a Time in
    the West. Too bad Robert Rodriguez stole the title for his new movie.

    Oh well anybody who loves gangster movie should own OUaTiA.

    Evan

    Evander, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Goldfinger

    Smaug69 Guest

    They did make a 2 and a half hour movie out of that back in the 1980s.
    It was not good and the critics mostly panned it. It really was a big
    confusing mess. This almost uncut DVD version is the best that anyone
    here in America has seen it on home video.
    I have never really heard any hype about it being better than The
    Godfather or even Goodfellas. I would put it up there in terms of
    gangster flics, though. It has an almost ethereal quality to it, which
    separates it from most other gangster films and that element may turn
    off some people. It's like the whole film is an opium dream. Actually,
    there are some who have a good argument for that case.
    Nope. I was very pleased to finally be able to see it as close to what
    Leone had envisioned. It's a shame he wasn't around to enjoy this
    renewed interest in it.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Goldfinger

    Smaug69 Guest

    Give me a break.

    First, the literal English translation of Sergio Leone's ITALIAN film,
    "C'era una volta il West," is "There Was Once the West."

    Second, "once upon a time" didn't just appear in 1968 with that film.
    How many fairy tales over the centuries have used that opening?(And
    there have been at least half a dozen films with that title, as well,
    that predate Leone's 1968 western classic)

    Third, there have been literally dozens of films since 1968 that have
    used that phrase in their title so it's not like Rodriguez is all by
    his lonesome in this case.

    And finally, even though I didn't like Despeardo and think this sequel
    is not going to be too good(other than Johnny Depp), I really think
    Rodriguez gave it that title out of respect to Sergio.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 4, 2003

  6. much better than Goodfellas

    Prof. Speedbyrd :>

    Prof. Speedbyrd, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Goldfinger

    Evander Guest

    However Rodgiguez has said the title to his third movie in his Desperado
    series barrowed the title "Once Upon a Time" to pay homage to the Leone's
    spaghetti westerns. So I should have amended my original post by saying "To
    bad Robert Rodriguez 'paid homage' for the title of his new movie."

    Evan

    Evander, Sep 4, 2003