    for used SP-350s on EBay. So far I've
    been outbid, with final selling
    prices ranging from $189 to $255.

    Charles Packer, Nov 2, 2007

  2. It is the law of supply and demand. I would imagine being one of the smallest
    Olympus cameras that has a hot-shoe (particularly when coupled with a FL-20
    flash) and shoots RAW, it has a special niche appeal that attracts people
    willing to track it down and buy it. Olympus really doesn't have a camera that
    replaces it at its level.

    Olympus every so often comes up with these special cameras that people really
    love. Off the top of my head, some of the cameras include C-2100UZ, E-10/E-20,
    C-5050Z, E-1, C-8080WZ, and the SP-350.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Interesting...I assumed that the SP-510 was a successor to the SP-350,
    but
    I haven't looked at its specs, other than its different megapixel
    count.
    I chose the SP-350 for my project because it appeared to be the
    cheapest
    camera that has RAW.

    Charles Packer, Nov 6, 2007
  4. SP-510UZ is a 10x superzoom without image stabalization, and has been
    superceeded first by the SP-550UZ and now the SP-560UZ (SP-550UZ and SP-560UZ
    offer RAW, I don't think the 510 did). Because of the large zoom range, it has
    a different form factor than the SP-350. The SP-350 was the last point & shoot
    offered by Olympus that supported an external flash.

    Olympus seems to have a corporate ADD, where they go with a camera type for
    awhile, produce an absolute winner as the last model of the range, and then
    switch gears and go off in a different direction. Generally after the camera
    is withdrawn does it find its niche audience and become a classic. Some of the
    niche cameras from the past would be:
    E-10/E-20 (fixed lens DSLR with ability to frame via LCD)
    C-2100UZ/E-100RS (10x image stabalized zoom cameras)
    C-5050Z (last of the f/1.8 low light cameras)
    C-8080WZ/C-7070WZ (last of the true prosumer cameras)
    E-1 (weather sealed, tough pro camera)
    SP-350 (unique small form factor camera)

    The E-1 is the only one on the list that has a successor (E-3), though it took
    Olympus long enough to develop it. I suspect if it hadn't developed into a
    niche camera where people feel passionately about it, it might not have had a
    successor.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 6, 2007
  5. Charles Packer

    RonTheGuy Guest

    The SP-510UZ does offer RAW. It was preceded by the SP-500, don't know
    if it has RAW. The 500 is pretty much the same as the 510 except that
    the 500 is 6 MP and the 510 is 7 MP. The 510 claims to have image
    stabilization but I believe it really just increases the ISO.
    Ron

    RonTheGuy, Nov 6, 2007