Olympus OM lens with a Olympus DSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Stacey, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 04:49:21 GMT, "willx34"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is is worthwhile to go ahead and buy the Olympus MF-1 OM adapter to
    >> use my 2 old lenses?

    > One option is to buy one of the similar cheap adaptors from
    > ebay. They are not as well made as the Olympus one but they
    > do the job at a fraction of the cost, usually less than $20
    > shipped. If you find yourself using them a lot you could
    > then buy the better engineered MF-1, and if not you haven't
    > wasted $100.

    Danger Will Robinson (that's a TV reference if you're too young to get
    it).

    I found out the hard way that the cheap adapters aren't precise fits and
    may shed crud as they wear in, which crud gets all over the inside of
    the camera. Some of the crud is metal filings which can scratch
    whatever they land on (DAMHIKT) and may result in repair costs exceeding
    the cost of the adapter. If somebody had _told_ me that I'd be about
    400 bucks richer now--fortunately I tried to clean the focusing screen
    first and when it got scratched up I paid a pro shop to clean the rest
    (and replace the screen), telling them up front that there were metal
    filings in the camera. If I'd gone after the sensor first I'd be out a
    camera.

    With some systems you can get easily find an older or dead body with the
    same mount and use it to wear in the adapters. 4/3 are new enough on
    the market that that's pretty much not an option, but who knows, you may
    luck into one sombody dropped off a cliff or something. Another way to
    do it is to get an extension tube and use it to wear in the adapters,
    but unless you want an extension tube anyway that route will cost you as
    much as an Olympus adapter will.

    >> Would I lose/gain anything in terms of image quality, etc.?

    > The OM lenses have better character than many of the digital
    > versions, certainly not sharper, but generally smoother
    > "bokeh". They also have lower contrast but that isn't really
    > an issue with digital. In short the give a different "look"
    > to the images. Try it :)

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Apr 2, 2007

  2. In article <lX%Ph.6030$>,
    "willx34" <> wrote:

    > I recently purchased an Evolt 500 <my first DSLR> and I still have my old
    > Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8 lenses from my old OM-1 and OM-2n days.
    >
    > Is is worthwhile to go ahead and buy the Olympus MF-1 OM adapter to use my 2
    > old lenses?

    Will-

    Perhaps it depends on the model you purchase, but I read somewhere that
    Olympus would send you a free adapter if you asked. If that is true,
    you have nothing to lose. Even if you have to pay, it would probably be
    handy to have the adapter anyway.

    What would you gain? Two lenses.

    What would you lose? Field of view. Loss of sharpness due to
    additional 2X enlargement required to produce the same final image.
    (Compared to use on the OM body.)

    This loss of sharpness isn't all bad, since lenses specifically designed
    for the 4/3 sensor face the same amount of enlargement. Additionally,
    the fixed-focal length lenses are probably noticeably sharper than a
    zoom lens such as the kit lens that may have come with the Evolt 500.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Peter Stacey

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:29:15 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >I found out the hard way that the cheap adapters aren't precise fits and
    >may shed crud as they wear in, which crud gets all over the inside of
    >the camera. Some of the crud is metal filings which can scratch
    >whatever they land on (DAMHIKT) and may result in repair costs exceeding
    >the cost of the adapter. If somebody had _told_ me that I'd be about
    >400 bucks richer now--fortunately I tried to clean the focusing screen
    >first and when it got scratched up I paid a pro shop to clean the rest
    >(and replace the screen), telling them up front that there were metal
    >filings in the camera. If I'd gone after the sensor first I'd be out a
    >camera.

    You have a 4/3 camera? Which cheap adaptor caused the
    problem?

    I have several, I have no problem with any of them.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:29:15 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I found out the hard way that the cheap adapters aren't precise fits
    >> and may shed crud as they wear in, which crud gets all over the
    >> inside of the camera. Some of the crud is metal filings which can
    >> scratch whatever they land on (DAMHIKT) and may result in repair
    >> costs exceeding the cost of the adapter. If somebody had _told_ me
    >> that I'd be about 400 bucks richer now--fortunately I tried to clean
    >> the focusing screen first and when it got scratched up I paid a pro
    >> shop to clean the rest (and replace the screen), telling them up
    >> front that there were metal filings in the camera. If I'd gone
    >> after the sensor first I'd be out a camera.

    > You have a 4/3 camera? Which cheap adaptor caused the
    > problem?
    >
    > I have several, I have no problem with any of them.

    The adapter was one of the ones sold on ebay. If you have had no
    problem that is nice, but it's better that someone be aware that it can
    happen than be surprised with a camera full of crud that has to be
    professionally removed.

    J. Clarke, Apr 2, 2007