    Alfred Molon, I have taken your advice and looked/signed up at MyOlympus.

    Cheers and thanks again. Peter Stacey.

    ******************************

    Peter Stacey, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Was that directed at me or Yoshi?

    J. Clarke, Mar 30, 2007

  3. That is exactly the point.

    I also have a nice collection of Olympus OM lenses and bodies, but have
    a few other camera brands as well. Of all, my favorite would be the
    Olympus. In spite of that, I'm aware of the improvement in quality when
    less enlargement is required to produce a given image size. Therefore
    my digital cameras have the largest sensors I can afford. The OM lenses
    aren't all TWICE as sharp as other brands' better lenses.

    The main reason I would not go the route of adapting the OM lenses, is
    that it is difficult to manually focus a lens on an AF body. They just
    weren't designed to do that. Unless you could find an AF body with a
    split-image focusing aid, manual focus would be just an exercise in
    proving you can use the old lenses in spite of the nuisance.

    If you are die-hard Olympus, then by all means use an Olympus digital
    body and an adapter for the OM lenses.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Mar 31, 2007
  4. Peter Stacey

    Alfred Molon Guest

    It is possible to add a split focus screen to an Olympus DSLR. Here is a
    long thread about that:
    (you have to register to be able to view it - it's a very long thread
    and I can't post it here).

    Alfred Molon, Mar 31, 2007
  5. Peter Stacey

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:47:22 -0400, Fred McKenzie >The main
    reason I would not go the route of adapting the OM lenses,
    is
    You can buy a split-image screen for any AF camera that has
    replaceable screens: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

    Personally I don't like them; when I had OM cameras I
    usually changed the standard screen for a plain matte
    version. I've never had any problems with MF on the fine
    matte screens of my Pentax *istD or Olympus E-1 ether, but
    the small dim screens of the other Olympus bodies may be
    more of a challenge.

    The Olympus E-330 has "live view", one mode of which
    displays a magnified view of the focus screen you see
    through the finder - a sort of built-in Zigview. I'm told by
    users that it's excellent for MF.

    There are lots of sensible ways to use old MF lenses on a
    modern digital body - including Olympus bodies.

    John Bean, Mar 31, 2007
  6. Peter Stacey

    Guy Guest

    Sorry, but no; Canon is not the right answer. The OP asked about
    experience using OM lenses on new Olympus DSLRs not your advice on using
    them on Canon bodies. You "answer" was irrelevant and self indulgent.
    Enjoy your Canon gear quietly unless asked. And no, nobody asked me
    either. -Guy

    Guy, Mar 31, 2007
  7. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Then what is the right answer? What digital camera should someone with
    existing OM lenses use to get the most benefit out of those lenses and
    why?

    I notice you Olympus zealots being real bit on insulting anyone who
    actually tries to help somebody while not offering one single word of
    actual useful information yourselves.
    Actually it was quite civil compared to the post to which it was a
    response.
    Is it all right with you if I also enjoy my Nikon, Panasonic, Yashica,
    Mamiya, and Leica gear?

    And who appointed you moderator?

    J. Clarke, Apr 1, 2007
  8. Peter Stacey

    Guy Guest

    The "right answer" would at least address the question or issue
    directly. By leaping to a tangential argument you dismiss the OPs
    question/concern as irrelevant. If you addressed the question directly
    then segue to your preferred solution with logical arguments connecting
    the two you will respect your reader. I doubt there is one "right"
    answer anyway.
    I wouldn't call myself an Olympus zealot, I don't own one but I do own 2
    Canons.
    I didn't say you were un-civil... just irrelevant and self indulgent. If
    you want to grind your own ax, don't be surprised when people notice.
    Sure, why not and thanks for asking permission. Just keep quiet about
    them too.
    Me. You post publicly, I responded publicly. The Internet is amazing,
    just ask Al Gore. -Guy

    Guy, Apr 1, 2007
  9. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    So you missed
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec....vc=1&q=olympus+om+lens&#doc_71a0a2bccec878e8?
    Then what exactly are you on about? Are you just bitching to be
    bitching?
    What axe is that?
    I see. So you think you're the moderator on an unmoderated newsgroup.

    <plonk>

    J. Clarke, Apr 1, 2007
  10. Peter Stacey

    Alfred Molon Guest

    "zealots" - now who is insulting who?

    For your information the OP joined the myolympus forum, posted the
    question there and got five useful and detailed replies. Instead here,
    this thread became a pissing contest as soon as Canon users jumped in.

    Alfred Molon, Apr 1, 2007
  11. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    And who did all the pissing?

    J. Clarke, Apr 1, 2007
  12. Peter Stacey

    ASAAR Guest

    "You'll wonder where the yellow went,
    When you clean your jeans with Pepsodent."

    ASAAR, Apr 1, 2007
  13. Peter Stacey

    Rich Guest

    He could do that AND use his Oly lenses with an adapter, many higher-
    level Canon users do already. Some even go so far as to shave down
    the mirrors in their 5Ds and use other lens brands to get decent image
    quality. BTW, there is one major difference between the E-1 and Canon
    gear, the E-1 has rarely failed in rough service.

    Rich, Apr 1, 2007
  14. No he didn't - I suggest YOU and the others complaining about non-Oly
    focusses responses read the original post again, carefully this time!

    "I have a range of Olympus OM 1 &2 gear, including 24mm, 35-70mm
    75-150mm lens bellows etc. Finally considering getting a DSLR, (E-1?)
    and am tempted to go on a path that will allow me to utilise the old
    equipment, rather than to scrap it or virtually give it away."

    He is quite generally considering "a DSLR" and merely questions where an
    E1 would be suitable to meet his needs.

    SuperHabadashi for that matter, are just as relevant responses to what
    the OP asked as those suggesting Olympus cameras.

    Sadly, as an Olympus OM user of over 33 years standing, when faced with
    exactly the same question as the OP, Olympus was NOT the answer.

    After decades of using well loved OM glass, I was not about to let
    Olympus Corporate's 4/3 detour down a blind alley restrict me to using a
    QUARTER of my lenses field areas and specifically throw away the very
    areas (edges and corners) where they excelled over other glass. A Canon
    30D, Pentax K10 or Nikon D200 isn't the answer to that either.

    Kennedy McEwen, Apr 1, 2007
  15. Peter Stacey

    Guy Guest

    A sense of humor like a rock. Remember, all things in moderation. -Guy

    Guy, Apr 1, 2007
  16. Peter Stacey

    willx34 Guest

    I'm not certain that I found the actual answer to the question of using OM
    lenses on current Olympus DSLR's in any of the responses posted, but hey,
    there were many responses and it's late at night.

    I recently purchased an Evolt 500 <my first DSLR> and I still have my old
    Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8 lenses from my old OM-1 and OM-2n days.

    Is is worthwhile to go ahead and buy the Olympus MF-1 OM adapter to use my 2
    old lenses? Would I lose/gain anything in terms of image quality, etc.? I
    don't mind spending the $100.00 for the adapter if the pluses outweigh the
    minuses. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated by this DSLR
    newbie.

    willx34, Apr 2, 2007
  17. Peter Stacey

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Title of this thread: "Olympus OM lens with a Olympus DSLR" not "Olympus
    OM lens with a DSLR"

    Alfred Molon, Apr 2, 2007
  18. Peter Stacey

    Guest Guest

    image quality? not really.
    field of view? yes.

    the 50mm will have an equivalent field of view as a 100mm f/1.8 and the
    28mm will be equivalent to a 56mm f/2.8.

    depending on what you shoot, that might be good or bad. a 100mm f/1.8
    could be quite useful, for instance, but if you enjoy wide angle, the
    28mm won't be wide at all.

    Guest, Apr 2, 2007
  19. But that isn't the question asked!

    Kennedy McEwen, Apr 2, 2007
  20. Peter Stacey

    John Bean Guest

    One option is to buy one of the similar cheap adaptors from
    ebay. They are not as well made as the Olympus one but they
    do the job at a fraction of the cost, usually less than $20
    shipped. If you find yourself using them a lot you could
    then buy the better engineered MF-1, and if not you haven't
    wasted $100.
    The OM lenses have better character than many of the digital
    versions, certainly not sharper, but generally smoother
    "bokeh". They also have lower contrast but that isn't really
    an issue with digital. In short the give a different "look"
    to the images. Try it :)

    John Bean, Apr 2, 2007