Olympus Evolt E-300

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Blaze Garlan, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Blaze Garlan

    Blaze Garlan Guest

    Blaze Garlan, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Blaze Garlan

    Barry Bean Guest

    For an additional $75, you can get an E-1. You sacrifice a little
    resolution, but pick up features and a a professional build.

    Barry Bean, Mar 10, 2005

  3. You have two more options
    i) spend a bit more and get a real camera (Canon 20D)
    ii) For the same price get a Nikon D70 or the Canon Rebel XT

    ;)

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Mar 11, 2005
  4. You can get it for a net cost of about $550 now. It isn't selling well, and
    has been heavily discounted.

    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Blaze Garlan

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Why isn't the E300 a "real camera" ?

    Alfred Molon, Mar 11, 2005
  6. It's made of cheese. Cheddar, I believe.

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Blaze Garlan

    Keith Guest

    I thought they were all real cameras... oooh silly me - just someone
    else anonymously having fun being rude.... what a child...

    Keith, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Blaze Garlan

    TAFKAB Guest

    It is, and isn't bad, but it isn't competitive with the offerings from Canon
    and Nikon. I think the writer was trying to make a point using humor.

    Note the wink...

    TAFKAB, Mar 11, 2005
  9. Blaze Garlan

    measekite Guest

    What is not up to snuff that causes the E300 not to sell well?

    measekite, Mar 11, 2005
  10. Image quality, no USB 2.0 or Firewire, Unacceptably high noise at
    higher ISO settings, No Mirror Lock-Up, Lens selection (the 4:3
    standard has not gone anywhere, so do not ever expect a good selection
    of lenses).

    Mostly it's that the competition is much better, for not much more
    money.

    scharf.steven, Mar 11, 2005
  11. Blaze Garlan

    Larry Guest

    From what I have seen as far as pictures produced with the E-volt, there is
    nothing seriously WRONG with it, it simply doesn't have anything "special"
    enough about it (The ultrasonic cleaner is NICE but not a deal closer), and
    it has a limited lens selection (OLY only), which cannot be used anywhere
    else (at least so far).

    In other words, its not so much whats wrong with the camera, but rather there
    is not quite enough right with it.

    The competition is stiff.

    Larry, Mar 11, 2005
  12. Blaze Garlan

    measekite Guest

    While this months Pop Photo rate the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70 1 and 2
    respectively, they did give the Evolt a reasonably good review. I
    wonder why. If it is the fact they are an advertiser then why should
    you trust them with any rating including Nikon and Canon.

    measekite, Mar 12, 2005
  13. Blaze Garlan

    measekite Guest

    That I can see. I do think that Canon is the one to get right now.

    measekite, Mar 12, 2005
  14. In the ratio 4:3 :))

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Mar 12, 2005
  15. Blaze Garlan

    Stacey Guest

    Hell yea, I want a camera that locks up like a windows computer does! :)

    Only "real" computer related products have that feature!

    Stacey, Mar 12, 2005
  16. Pop Photo has never met a camera they didn't like. They pretty much
    pull punches for every manufacturer.

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 12, 2005
  17. Blaze Garlan

    Larry Guest

    They also rated the Sigma SD10 in the same article, and they did so as a 10+
    megapixel camera... they MUST know better than that!

    Larry, Mar 12, 2005
  18. At least they said the Fuji S3 only delivered resolution on par with a 7
    megapixel camera, not 12 megapixels. Part of that could be Fuji's own
    reluctance to sell the S3 on the basis of better spatial resolution
    instead of better dynamic range.

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 13, 2005