    Minolta Dimage 5
    Minolta Dimage F100
    Minolta Dynax 5

    Geir Ertzgaard, Dec 28, 2004

  2. David Sommers, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Got one for Christmas, 15th Dec to be exact.
    Handles very well but I need to learn how to use dslr so will be looking at the link from David & Alfred.
    I am very pleased with it. I am used to OM1 or Bronica film cameras so used to quality, this will give me quality I think when I have mastered it.
    Dave

    david hall via PhotoKB.com, Dec 28, 2004
  4. I heard it looks like a camera.

    I haven't seen any full-size samples yet.

    Brian C. Baird, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Geir Ertzgaard

    Alfred Molon Guest

    There is some discussion going on here:

    I saw it today in Kuala Lumpur (kit for 3600 RM, which translates into
    720 Euro - very cheap for an 8MP DSLR with lens). Very tempted to grab
    one, if it wasn't for this big unsolved issue of all current DLSRs (no
    live preview on the LCD screen) and the slow F3.5-5.6 lens

    Alfred Molon, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Geir Ertzgaard

    Stacey Guest

    Got one of these as my first real digital camera. I've used a D10 and didn't
    like the interface. The results were good but the focus screen seemed small
    and cluttered etc.

    Haven't used this E300 a bunch yet but so far the results look very nice,
    especially shot in raw mode at 100asa and processed in PS. 99% of my
    shooting is daylight landscapes or macro nature shots and this seems to be
    a good camera for my uses.

    Still playing with software and hope OM is listening to the people bitching
    about the exessive NR processing and add a feature to disable or adjust
    this in a firmware update? People bitched about the noise at high ISO so
    they added default noise filters, now people bitch about the noise filters?
    Oh well.

    The bundled zoom isn't that good and will probably hurt it in some of the
    reviews if they use this lens for testing the camera. My main beefs with
    the bundled lens (besides less than stellar image quality) is it's dim at
    the long end, has no focus distance scale and just feels cheap (which it
    is). Obviously was thown in at a price point to fit the under $1000
    "prosumer" market.

    I just picked up the 11-22mm (which is equal to a 22-44 on a 35mm camera)
    and it's SO much nicer to use, as well as being sharper and contrastier.
    Then again this lens costs almost what the whole E300 kit costs! I have the
    50mm f2 macro on the way and plan on using these 2 lenses most of the time.
    I should have waited till they started selling the body alone, but
    couldn't.. I might get the E2 (whatever they are going to call the pro
    version body that I image will be out soon with this same sensor) and maybe
    sell this kit later this year.

    Like I said, I like the interface and coming from manual 35mm and medformat
    cameras, this one seemed the easiest for me to get used to and use. Nice
    small size, lightweight, compact lenses and so far the image quality seems
    very good and I'm real picky about that!

    Stacey, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Geir Ertzgaard

    Steven Wandy Guest

    Very tempted to grab
    I don't see this changing with DSLR's anytime soon as they all use (to my
    knowledge) a mirrow system similar to 35mm SLR that prevents light from
    falling on the sensor until
    the image is taken.

    This lens is offered as the "kit" lens to keep the cost of the camera down.
    You can substitute the 14-54 MM 2.8-3.5 lens that was more or less standard
    on the E-1 if you want something faster.

    Steven Wandy, Dec 29, 2004
  8. Geir Ertzgaard

    Skip M Guest

    Get over it, Alfred, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. There isn't
    exactly a groundswell of demand for a feature that most find relatively
    useless.
    Quit whining and go buy a good, solid Oly E-20, or something. Close to the
    best of both worlds, if only 5mp. But it's a great 5mp.

    Skip M, Dec 29, 2004
  9. Geir Ertzgaard

    Alfred Molon Guest

    This has been discussed several times already. The solution is to lock
    up the mirror.
    Yep, but at the moment they are only offering the kit to my knowledge
    and I don't want to pay for a lens I won't use.

    Alfred Molon, Dec 29, 2004