Olympus EVOLT E-300 Owners Only!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BrianEWilliams, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. I am interested in the Olympus EVOLT E-300 Digital SLR. I have read
    several threads about it here, and folks seem to have a fair amount to
    say about the size of the E-300 image sensor. Now, I hate to get into
    any discussion of whether size alone matters, so suffice it to say that
    I think we can all agree that size is only one factor in performance.

    For example, Olympus claims that their chip design has more effective
    imaging power because their chip is not 'Interline' in nature:

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/feat_quality_ccd.asp

    The Olympus technology is "Vertical Charge Transfer Register" which
    might mean the data comes off the CCD vertically vs. along little
    pathways on the imaging area. This seems reasonable to me, but I do
    not count CCD design engineer as one of my many talents, and I doubt
    anyone on this newsgroup does either.

    Instead, let's stipulate we are not smart enough to mentally simulate
    what this camera will do and instead the proof is really in the
    shooting, something that can only be done if you have the camera in
    your hands vs. imagination.

    Sorry for the Onanistic ramble, but here is your turn. If you own the
    E-300 and have a few minutes to share feedback, I'd love to read it.

    BrianEWilliams, Dec 19, 2005

  2. BrianEWilliams

    Alfred Molon Guest

    There is a users group for the E300 here, in case you are interested:

    Alfred Molon, Dec 19, 2005

  3. BrianEWilliams

    Lourens Smak Guest

    Go here to see what an E300 can do:
    http://www.myfourthirds.com

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Dec 19, 2005
  4. BrianEWilliams

    RK Guest

    I have a 300, as well as an Oly 5060 and several other earlier Oly
    digicams. In terms of the 300, here are some real positives:

    - fine and solid build quality, and it handles very well
    - under normal conditions clean and brilliant photos
    - nice menu system
    - good set of complimentary flashes and lenses
    - works beautifully with adapters and older Oly and other lenses (I get
    great results with
    Pentax K lenses)
    - really fine kit lens
    - sensor cleaner (this gets an A+ from me and sealed the deal).
    - great results in the HQ setting; Oly does good compression and so you
    can go easy on cards and hard drives.

    Here are some negatives:

    - so-so lcd and viewfinder
    - exposure system that freaks out when there are bright spots, even
    when spot metering is used (why Oly has not done a firmware upgrade
    that really fixes this
    is beyond me)
    - auto white balance tends to produce more magenta cast than one would
    expect
    - there is noticable noise at ISO800 and ISO1600, though at 800 it can
    be pretty well taken care of with any number of cleaning programs; 1600
    takes some work. I'm not bothered particularly by either.

    By and large I find my 5060 more reliable in terms of metering and
    overall exposure reliability. 300 with Oly TTL flashes very, very good.

    300 a good camera. Not exactly brilliant, but if you work with it the
    results can be very fine. I'd say a lot depends on the kind of
    photography you want to do. Sports at night. No. Landscapes, anything
    else out of doors, just fine once you learn to not trust auto white
    balance completely. I prefer the 5060 for travel and with converter
    wide angle for a lot of street shooting. Both fine cameras with great
    optics available.

    RK, Dec 20, 2005
  5. BrianEWilliams

    Stacey Guest

    Bad points,

    Noisy at ISO1600 due to kodak sensor. Kodak sensors have always been noisy.
    The sensor isn't enough smaller than the APS cameras to account for this.

    Auto WB is pretty useless, I set my to daylight and then shoot RAW if
    lighting is tricky.

    Exposure system isn't the greatest, it can be fooled by bright light in the
    center of the frame no matter which metering setting you use.

    Like the other poster said, if you like shooting in low light, buy something
    else.

    Otherwise it has great saturated colors and does nice in outdoor landscapes
    etc. The optics are good with the kit lenses and the other glass is
    -really- good. For what I do it works great. Here are some samples.

    http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1438888

    Stacey, Dec 20, 2005