    tempting! Why, or why not?

    Thanks,
    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Bill Crocker

    Turbo1010 Guest

    Because, night shots aren't that great. I get alot of noise with mine when
    shooting in low light conditions.

    Turbo1010, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Bill Crocker

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Crocker writes ...
    There's a 500 post thread on this NG where the merits and demerits of
    this camera and the entire Oly 4/3 system are being debated. Read it
    and you'll see the pros and cons, it's hardly worth re-starting the
    arguments again.

    Bill Hilton, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Bill Crocker

    rafe bustin Guest

    $645 from Buydig.com.

    If you've been following the threads,
    you should know the pros and cons by now.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Do you stick with the lower ISO values? Use any dark-frame subtraction
    facility?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Bill Crocker

    Alfred Molon Guest

    At what ISO ?

    Alfred Molon, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Bill Crocker

    Patrick Guest

    It is a nice camera, but like it's bigger brother, the E1, noisy above ISO
    400.

    The Zuiko 14-54 is ED glass, the 14-45 is a kit lens. Remember, in terms
    of 35mm FOV optics, they are comparable to 28-108mm and 28 - 90mm,
    respectively.

    I shoot weddings with the E1, and it is a great camera in many ways, though
    I rarely go over ISO 400. The dust thingie works.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Jun 2, 2005
  8. Bill Crocker

    RK Guest

    Dust free thing is really great. Not a speck so far,and I do some
    construction site photography. I have a bunch of prime lenses in
    addition to the kit lens (very sharp and clean) and am always changing
    -- the camera loves my old Pentax K lenses. This, for me, was a major
    reason for buying (though as a long time Oly user I have flash units,
    batteries, etc. that work with it).

    My only problem with the camera, a slight one, is a quirky exposure
    system that can underexpose scenes in which there is a relatively small
    bit of extreme brightness (like a headlight)in the EVS mode (this being
    a bit more noticable than on my other Olys, and a bit more
    unpredictable than normal backlighting situation). One has to pay close
    attention or do some bracketing. I also find it necessary to increase
    flash output in most situations -- a problem with other dslr's I think.
    There is also a very, very slight magenta cast to outdoor greens --
    easily fixed in post processing if one notices.

    Otherwise, I am very happy with the camera. It is rugged and the
    'notorious' noise problems are really pretty minor and, if noticable,
    pretty easily fixed. I just did some art gallery and interior
    decorating work at 400-1600 ISO and only had to noise reduce a couple
    of shots. Oh, and I think this is useful, the Oly compression
    algorithms seem such that one can get really fine results in the HQ
    mode. I've done a lot of pattern and other testing to confirm this --
    on the E-300 as well as on my Oly 5060. Of course, for those really
    critical shots you might want to use raw or SHQ, but for heavy travel,
    etc. this can be be a great help. Go for it!

    RK, Jun 2, 2005