Olympus EVOLT - 8 MP Consumer DSLR (four thirds)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard Cockburn, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Richard Cockburn, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Richard Cockburn, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Brian C. Baird, Sep 27, 2004

  4. On the surface, that is what one would expect, but the first time DSLR
    owner might not be as concerned about that. Look at how many people are
    buying these 8MP cameras like the Pro1 ... with a 2/3 sensor. If the price
    is right, Oly might actually have something here.

    I still plan to buy my 20D very soon. My EOS bag is pretty decent, and this
    now Oly model can't touch the 20D. I'll also be keeping the 10D.
    Nonetheless, I still like to see competition among the manufacturers, and
    it will be interesting to see how this affects the entry-level DSLR market
    .... if it has any effect at all.

    Richard Cockburn, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Sure, but how long until Canon packs the 20D sensor in an updated Rebel
    body for $899? Olys high noise glory will be short lived.
    I'd expect more competition out of Minolta or Pentax than Oly. At least
    they (Minny and Penny) haven't tied themselves down to a nowhere format.

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 27, 2004
  6. Richard Cockburn

    Frank ess Guest

    Sounds right.

    I'd like to suggest an answer for the Naming question on dpreview: The
    inquirer wanted to know why Oly can't just call this new one the E-300
    or some such.

    Look at the number of posts in this group around the time Mr. Canon
    introduced his 300D that were from Brand New users who referred to their
    cameras as "Digital Rebel". Still happens. Watch how many who go for the
    Oly and show up talking "EVOLT".

    How can you expect to combat a REBEL with an e-something?

    Frank ess, Sep 27, 2004

  7. The beauty of competition.

    Richard Cockburn, Sep 27, 2004
  8. I think EVOLT is the American name, and E-300 is the international name.
    They do that to combat grey market sales in the USA. I agree that the E-300
    was a poor name choice ... not that EVOLT ia much better. ;-)

    Richard Cockburn, Sep 27, 2004
  9. What's the price? The Drebel is under $1,000 usd, street prices are around
    $700ish now.

    Darrell Larose, Sep 27, 2004
  10. Richard Cockburn

    Böwsér Guest

    Unless there's a technological breakghrough, no. At the end of the day,
    larger photo sites are better than small, and larger sensors permit more and
    bigger photo sites. The 4/3 system is a wonderful looking system, but I
    think Olympus, and others may have boxed themselves in to a sensor size that
    too small. However, it still looks like a wonderful system, and I may be
    taking a long look at the E300 and a few lenses as a travel kit. Only if the
    quality is there, and the results are at lease equal to the 20D, which I
    view as it's principal competitor. And yes, I realize that Canon, Nikon and
    others have boxed themselves in with the "DX" series lenses, as well. Even
    though they may be able to build bigger sensors, those lenses won't cover
    the area necessary.

    Böwsér, Sep 28, 2004
  11. Richard Cockburn

    Patrick L. Guest

    Phil writes:

    "I can't help but think that the North American name is a mistake, it really
    doesn't mean anything to me nor does it stir any emotion, I really don't
    understand why it can't just be called the E-300 (other than to try and
    guard against grey imports)."

    What's up with the nit-picking, Phil? What about the "Rebel', the
    "Elan", and so and on so on. what's the big deal that you have to gripe
    about such a trivial thing?

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Sep 28, 2004
  12. Böwsér wrote:
    []
    Some of us want to move on from the ties of last century's 35mm format,
    and welcome the move to smaller sensors. The chance of lighter kit at a
    similar quality to yesterday's 35mm systems would be great, and I do hope
    that you find the E-300 suitable for your needs. Please report back!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 28, 2004
  13. No one is forcing you to buy EF-S lenses. They're an option, that's
    all. It's not like the camera WON'T work with your existing lenses.

    All in all, I'd say you'd be betting safer with Canon's EF-S mount
    lasting as long (or a little longer) than the doomed-from-the-start
    4/3rds standard.

    Let's not even get into the whole "the Oly kit isn't any lighter"
    thing...

    Brian C. Baird, Sep 28, 2004
  14. Richard Cockburn

    Skip M Guest

    The 20D is not "forcing" you to buy EF-S lenses. All of the existing EF
    mount lenses work just fine with it. I know, I have a 20D, and no EF-S
    lenses, just the ones I've had all along for my film bodies and D30. EF-S
    lenses do give you an option that you didn't have before with the EF mount
    lenses and the 1.6x sensor, that's the 17-85 IS, which translates to
    28-134mm, and the 10-24, which translates to a 16-35mm.
    Of course, to use the new lenses, you do need to buy the 20D or RebelD, but,
    hey, it's an imperfect world.

    Skip M, Sep 28, 2004
  15. Richard Cockburn

    PhotoMan Guest

    I don't see Olympus selling many of these bodies until they do something
    about their lens pricing. There aren't many at 'entry level' pricing.

    PhotoMan, Sep 29, 2004
  16. Well they just announced two new consumer lenses 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm
    f/3.5-4.5 along with the EVOLT, though I don't recall the pricing information.
    I would imagine the third lens announced, 7-14mm (14-28mm) f/4.0 is more of a
    professional lens. Sigma also announced the 18-135 lens.

    Michael Meissner, Sep 29, 2004
  17. Richard Cockburn

    DJC737 Guest

    Some of us want to move on from the ties of last century's 35mm format,
    I am also looking for a light travel digicam. I currently have the D60
    with several L lenses and while I love the images, I hate the weight and
    size. I watched the 8 megapixel non-dslr's with an eye toward a travel cam
    but none really did the trick. If a small EVOLT with 2 small lenses drops
    the weight, I will go that way. Actually the 20D has freed me from the Canon
    stable as the EF-s lenses requires I buy a new system anyway. So which ever
    ends up suiting my needs best gets the next round of my money.
    Enjoy the shopping as much as the using. Dave

    DJC737, Sep 29, 2004
  18. Richard Cockburn

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Let's see... the 40-150/3.5-4.5 is equivalent to an 80-300 lens for
    a 35mm camera. Not bad, f/4.5 at the long end, for a consumer lens.

    Has anybody figured out the pop-up flash on the Evolt/E300? Specs
    say it's a "slide pop-up" but I have no idea what that means.

    My first impression was "that's an ugly camera" but I think that's
    because it doesn't have a raised viewfinder/prism box and high flash.
    Maybe I could get used to the new look, but I fear the flash doesn't
    pop up high enough to avoid redeye.

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 29, 2004
  19. Richard Cockburn

    Clyde Guest

    To really avoid redeye, you need the flash about 12" above the lens.
    That's why wedding photographers put the flash on those brackets. That
    also gives some shading to faces and clothes.

    A lot of new digital camera are "ugly". I guess beauty is in the output.
    I'm waiting breathlessly to see what the results of that are for the
    EVOLT and the new lens. That "ugly" camera sure looks nice and small
    though. That also helps it's 'looks'.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Sep 30, 2004
  20. Richard Cockburn

    Alan Browne Guest

    The only look that counts is the image that is made. There are a few undeniably
    cool looking cameras, and I personally love the old brassy Nikon look, but
    really it is the result that counts.

    Alan Browne, Sep 30, 2004