    ailing camera operations, but its core endoscope business appeared
    unscathed by the scandal, and its president said the firm might not
    need outside capital.

    RichA, Feb 17, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >There is no way they can keep absorbing this kind of loss. They are
    >losing money on every sale, it would appear. They could end up
    >selling the division at a firesale price and keeping only the
    >profitable medical end of the business, or they could be bought in
    >total by another company. If Sony buys them, it's likely their camera
    >division would be quickly closed or slowly absorbed and the Olympus
    >name erased with Sony taking anything worthwhile for its own camera
    >division.
    >Share prices have not recovered since the scandal peaked.

    Share prices have *doubled* since their lows.

    >http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/us-olympus-idUSTRE81E22120120216
    >
    >Monday it forecast a $410 million full-year loss due largely to its
    >ailing camera operations, but its core endoscope business appeared
    >unscathed by the scandal, and its president said the firm might not
    >need outside capital.

    In other words, no takeover by Sony or anyone else. No talks have
    been held between Olympus and any of the several potential suitors
    mentioned in the media. Olympus has not appointed advisors to seek
    inward investment.

    It's a non-story. Time to drop it, Rich.

    Bruce, Feb 17, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 17, 3:49 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >There is no way they can keep absorbing this kind of loss.  They are
    > >losing money on every sale, it would appear.  They could end up
    > >selling the division at a firesale price and keeping only the
    > >profitable medical end of the business, or they could be bought in
    > >total by another company.  If Sony buys them, it's likely their camera
    > >division would be quickly closed or slowly absorbed and the Olympus
    > >name erased with Sony taking anything worthwhile for its own camera
    > >division.
    > >Share prices have not recovered since the scandal peaked.

    > Share prices have *doubled* since their lows.
    >
    > >http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/us-olympus-idUSTRE81E221201...

    > >Monday it forecast a $410 million full-year loss due largely to its
    > >ailing camera operations, but its core endoscope business appeared
    > >unscathed by the scandal, and its president said the firm might not
    > >need outside capital.

    > In other words, no takeover by Sony or anyone else.  No talks have
    > been held between Olympus and any of the several potential suitors
    > mentioned in the media.  Olympus has not appointed advisors to seek
    > inward investment.
    >
    > It's a non-story.  Time to drop it, Rich.

    Really? What did GM do with Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn?

    RichA, Feb 17, 2012
  4. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 16/02/2012 9:17 PM, RichA wrote:

    > There is no way they can keep absorbing this kind of loss. They are
    > losing money on every sale, it would appear. They could end up
    > selling the division at a firesale price... <snip>

    Maybe Kodak will buy it!!!

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 18, 2012