    added a USB port using a PCI board.

    I would like to buy an Olympus C-740. Will this Mac interface with a
    Olympus C-740?

    Richard Schroedel, Sep 7, 2003

  2. Richard Schroedel

    Charlie D Guest

    If it doesn't, many people find an inexpensive card reader to be more
    convenient than connecting the camera to the computer. I KNOW
    that'll work.

    Charlie D, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Richard Schroedel

    James Meiss Guest

    I put a PCI usb card in my old 9500, and my Nikon connected fine using
    OS 9, as did the SmartMedia card reader...YMMV of course.

    (the 9500 is beige too.. :))

    James Meiss, Sep 12, 2003
  4. << I have a Beige G3 Macintosh which did not come with a USB port. I have
    added a USB port using a PCI board.

    I would like to buy an Olympus C-740. Will this Mac interface with a
    Olympus C-740? >>

    Rich-

    I have a Beige G3 with a PCI adapter for USB. It works with my Olympus
    C-3040Z, as well as with two different USB card readers. In each case, it
    comes up on the desktop as if it were a hard drive.

    However, I did have a minor problem with USB in general. When upgrading to OS
    9, the USB drivers were replaced with newer ones that did not recognize all the
    devices. I was able to correct that by putting older drivers back in the
    Extensions folder. It was necessary to experiment to find the ones that work.

    I also have OS X installed in a second partition. I don't recall having any
    USB problems running OS X, except for one of the card readers. Apparently
    Apple uses a different method of recognizing devices in OS X. If a device
    doesn't identify itself correctly, or the identity is not on a list of known
    devices, then OS X doesn't know how to interface with it. I haven't tried that
    card reader since upgrading to 10.2.6.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 14, 2003