Olympus admits their micro 4/3rds focusing system is flawed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Mar 17, 2010

  2. RichA

    Matti Vuori Guest

    No it isn't. Why do you lie?

    Matti Vuori, Mar 17, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I tested the E-P1 and 2 against the G1. The G1 snaps to focus like a
    DSLR. The Olympus hunt back and forth (kit lens) before finally
    locking in. I tried them at 5ft, 15ft and infinity. It could be due
    in-part to the Olympus kit lens, but I didn't swap lenses with the G1.

    RichA, Mar 17, 2010
  4. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I see no support for your claim in the article. Are you a liar or
    just illiterate.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 18, 2010
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    And yet despite the statement from the article (below) Panasonic seems
    to be able to focus fast. Olympus's kit lens is small and it doesn't
    focus quickly.

    He explained that while Four Thirds lenses can be used on Micro Four
    Thirds cameras, and can operate using the contrast-detection autofocus
    system, their speed performance is compromised by the fact they are
    designed to be used with phase-detection systems in SLR bodies with
    more powerful AF motors.

    'To match the speed of the autofocus system of the current Four Thirds
    lenses on a body that uses a contrast-detection system would require
    lenses with a much smaller and lighter focusing group,'

    RichA, Mar 18, 2010
  6. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I see no such claimed admission from Olympus. Are you a liar or a
    moron?

    Ray Fischer, Mar 18, 2010
  7. RichA

    Richard Guest

    You're trying to confuse him now? That's so cruel.

    Richard, Mar 18, 2010
  8. RichA

    swandy Guest

    Olympus made a decision to construct the kit lens in a collapsible
    manner, which probably compromised the AF speed. The Panasonic kit
    lens don't collapse and are therefore quite a bit larger when not in
    use.

    He is probably making reference to the two upcoming m4/3 lenses (9-18
    and 14-140) which use internal focusing elements and are reported to
    AF faster than the Oly kit lens.

    swandy, Mar 18, 2010
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    And yet if the Olympus did focus fast with Panasonic's kit lens, it
    would be known and the Olympus people would all be using that lens.
    3x faster?
    Some had hoped the last firmware upgrade would help, if it did, it
    wasn't much.

    RichA, Mar 18, 2010
  11. RichA

    John Turco Guest