    with the former. Would I see a worthwhile perfromance increase or
    are they pretty much rated the same?

    TIA.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Donald McTrevor

    birdman Guest

    Unclear if this is a joke.
    The K2 topped out at about 500mHz: that would be the only worthwhile
    replacement if you could find one. There was a rare K3 with increased cache
    but not many of those were ever made.
    It's time to get a new computer . . .

    birdman, Jul 29, 2005

  3. What ten minutes and still no replies!!!
    Anyway I will start the ball rolling
    Here are some for the K6 (K6 or K6-2???)
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/19980528/k6-2-04.html

    Not sure if there is much difference on this one, again I find the name of
    the particular CPU involved rather comfusing.
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/19980416/performance-01.html#benchmark_results

    I get the impression the performance if pretty similiar ie within 10%
    I was hoping for about 50% increase?

    Some more 'bumf'

    http://www.kingli.com/cpu-compare.htm
    Almost what I am looking for but its AMD 266 not 333!!

    Other stuff.
    http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=66

    http://www.3bsoftware.com/tech_support/sandra/dcpu.html

    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...0the%20new%20PC.doc+cyrix+MII+benchmark&hl=en

    Anyway enough!!

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 29, 2005

  4. Not a joke, *if* I could could get a 50% performance increase for less the
    £10 (inc P&P) then I would do it. (About £5 for the CPU.)
    I am sure there are plenty of people here who are willing to pay £100+
    for a 10%-20% increase on a modern machine.
    My mobo won't go above 333Mhz anyway (I think).

    A 50% increase *might* enable me to do what I want to do.
    (basically play to poker tables *safely* (there is a danger it
    might "time-out" on one table, costing me more than £5!!))
    Also I would learn a bit by changing CPU.

    The alternative is a new PC (~£500) A slightly faster CPU
    might be a stop-gap for me to get a 939 pin rather than a 754 pin
    AMD 64, the 939 pin model, which I believe would have a
    considerably longer life span, as it would, I think, take the duel
    core AMD's.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Is this the very rare CPU you meant?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15921&item=6789116216&rd=1

    Anyway its a K2 not a K3 but as it runs at 333Mhz it might be about 50%
    faster thna my Cyrix MII PR300 which runs at 225mhz (or maybe 233mhz).

    Its hard to verify that though as I can't find direct comparison benchmarks
    and benchmarks can be misleading anyway, it might not be faster in the
    right area.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    Well how much time should really be spent on getting another
    20% out of a really old box that might die from old age at
    any time?
    Just get a K6/2-400 or don't bother. Your time is better
    spend finding something faster though, just about anything
    newer is faster so you can simply choose the cheapest
    working parts you can find.

    You never did mention exactly where you need the performance
    increase. These days one will benefit from more memory and
    a faster hard drive than that motherboard can even support.

    kony, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Donald McTrevor

    Sleepy Guest

    you could build a new box and reuse your monitor for about £250
    it wouldnt be cutting edge but it would be new parts and a LOT
    faster than what you have - it'd run office apps and internet browsing
    just fine.

    Sleepy, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Donald McTrevor

    GT Guest

    Everyone has said you would be better getting the cheapest new PC you can
    find and I would tend to agree, but if you are looking for minimal spend,
    why not look on Ebay for a second hand PC or laptop - anything from the last
    few (4 or 5) years will probably be faster. In fact, I doubt very much if
    you would be able to find anything slower for sale!

    GT, Jul 29, 2005
  9. Donald McTrevor

    GT Guest

    If you search on ebay, choose the Desktop PCs category and search all, then
    limit your search to Buy-It-Now and PayPal only systems. Limit the price
    range to maybe 20-30 pounds and you get over 50 PC systems for sale - Dells,
    Compaqs etc. Make sure you enter minimum £20 or you get all the trawlers
    that advertise junk and imaginary services on EBay.

    For example - P3 650MHz 128MB, 10GB CD - £25 + £8 delivery:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3746&item=5224485347&rd=1

    There are loads

    GT, Jul 29, 2005
  10. Yes a laptop is a futher consideration, incuding for a new machine.
    I believe that now laptop sales have or are about to outsell
    desktop machines. Considering the weight and bulk of a desktop
    thats not such a surprise. The small size and portability are a
    big plus, although you will lose out somewhat on the spec,

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 29, 2005
  11. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    True but it could be a sign that these people already have
    desktops and need portability, not that they're choosing one
    over the other, or that all else being equal, a laptop won't
    last as long so a lower replacement interval translates into
    higher sales per market saturation.

    kony, Jul 29, 2005
  12. I am not sure.
    What I can say is that the max 'clock' is 75MHz and the max
    clock multiplier is X4, I looked at my jumper settings and I am
    on 75MHz X 3 = 225MHz is that 75MHz my FSB? I am a little
    unclear about this, but I am pretty sure it is not a 100MHz FSB.
    The CPU clocks are listed as 50, 60, 66, & 75.

    Again I am a bit confused over RAM too, I will quote from my
    mobo manual (which I recently found!!)
    "DRAM Type Supports EDO Ram. (both symetrical and
    asymmetrical, "(whatever that means?)")"

    Also:-
    Access time:- 70ns or faster for FPM/EDO or 60ns or faster for SDRAM
    (which indicated it does take SDRAM)

    However I have only ever used 72 pin EDO RAM 60ns when I upgraded
    I am unsure how the 60ns relates to bus speed.
    Also the SDRAM I see on ebay seems to be 168 pin DIMMS and
    they are not going to fit into my 72 pin slots are they!!!!!

    I think 300Mhz is the max my mobo can manage :O(

    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302964

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 7, 2005
  13. Donald McTrevor

    Martin Guest

    My first PC had a Cyrix MII 300 CPU - which i upgraded to an AMD K6 300 (not
    a K6 -2).
    The upgrade definately made my PC a bit more responsive.

    Martin.

    Martin, Aug 7, 2005
  14. Well.... I have just found I have won an auction on Ebay so I will be
    getting one
    for the princely sum of £0.99!!!
    It will be a cheap upgrade!! Assuming I can fit it.

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 7, 2005

  15. Well I have managed, at long last to find the data myself here are the
    links:-

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-2/AMD-K6-2 300 - AMD-K6-2-300AFR.html
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/MII/Cyrix-MII-300GP (75 MHz 2.9V).html
    (not sure if it is precisely the correct K6 model.

    Here is a comparison of some benchmarks:-

    http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/Co...&CPU4=&PAGE_NAME=COMPARE_BENCH&ACTION=Compare

    Which shows some healthy performance increases apart from Sandra Dhrystone
    (MIPS)
    which is basically the same.however the next lowest increase is a 32%
    increase.
    However overall I think I should see 50%-100% increase?
    Well worth it for the £0.99 the processor costs me!!

    Cyrix MII AMD
    K6-2
    Benchmark name CPU 1 CPU 2
    Dhrystone 2.1 (VAX MIPS) 172.64 348.92 ( 102.1%)
    Whetstone (KWIPS) 0.48 113.81 (
    61.5%)
    Linpack 100x100 (MFLOPS) 23.79 35.86 ( 50.7%)
    Sandra Dhrystone (MIPS) 624 635 (
    1.8%)
    Sandra Whetstone (MFLOPS) 181 359 ( 98.3%)
    Sandra MultiMedia Integer (it/s) 620 1678 (
    170.6%)
    Sandra MultiMedia Floating Point (it/s) 129 2054 ( 1492.2%)
    Doom 1.9s high detail (FPS) 60.97 86.45 (
    41.8%)
    Doom 1.9s low detail (FPS) 102.74 135.68 ( 32.1%)

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 7, 2005