    what I'm using now) ?

    3) how much do you think it's worth (UK £)... supposed to be in VGC

    Any or all answers to above much appreciated......

    Advid, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Advid

    Rich Guest

    On Ebay, they bring about $75 U.S.

    Rich, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Advid

    Jim Guest

    I would not want a non APO 400 mm lens at all.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Advid

    Deedee Tee Guest

    It should _work_, but autofocus will be slow (too slow for in-flight
    birds, for instance).
    What 75-300? There are boatloads of different brands, types and
    prices. I would expect that even one of the cheaper plastic Nikkors
    will clearly outperform a Sigma 400 non-APO, if you just compare
    resolution and CA regardless of FL.

    A more meaningful comparison is between the 400 and a 300 (zoom or
    prime) with 1.4x TC. Most cheap zooms will become a 420mm f/8
    effective (so you will have trouble with autofocus except in bright
    light) and quite soft. Probably about as bad as the 400 non-APO, but
    one stop slower. If you compare the 400 non-APO with a Sigma 100-300
    f/4 APO EX with a matched Sigma 1.4x EX TC (which I know because I use
    it every day), the latter wins hands down. But the 100-300 costs seven
    times and weights four times more than a cheap plastic zoom. Probably
    even a good 70-200 f/2.8 with 2x TC will be better than the 400
    non-APO.

    The Sigma 400 APO Macro is supposed to be the best in the lot. The
    Sigma 400 APO (non-macro) is nothing to get excited about. The 400
    non-APO is something I would avoid, and keep saving up for something
    better instead.

    Deedee Tee, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Advid

    Advid Guest

    .....thanks guys..... I've managed to 'do a deal' and in a couple of days
    I'll have the lens on loan to try out for a while.... If its OK I'll buy
    it - if its as all you seem to say - nothing special - OR - avoid if
    possible -then I'll give it back....

    I will put my 'feelings' about this lens back on here for others to look
    at.....

    Advid, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Advid

    Rich Guest

    Why? Minor CA can be dealt with pretty easily in software when it's
    an bright-dark interface problem, and the slight contrast reduction
    non-apo lenses produce can be dealt with as well. Unless the CA is
    really bad (unusual for any decent lens) you have little to worry
    about. I'd worry more about fast lenses that are old and maybe have
    no aspheric elements to control spherical aberration, which is a far
    worse problem.
    -Rich

    Rich, Apr 3, 2006