old network adapter on new computer doesn't want to work

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Bulldog Bob, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. Bulldog Bob

    Bulldog Bob Guest

    Having problems with system using Microsoft wireless base station and adapter
    and would sincerely appreciate any advice.
    I've used the wireless network for a couple of years or so without any
    problems.
    I just replaced one of my PCs with a new computer running XP Media Center
    edition. When I plugged in the wireless adapter and put in the broadband
    wireless networking software installation CD, I got a message indicating a
    "known compatibility issue" with Media Center version of Windows. I continued
    and completed the installation wizard, but it wouldn't connect with my
    network.
    It did, however, seem eager to connect with the wireless networks of a
    couple of my neighbors whose signals were strong enough. To my shame, I
    hitchhiked on one of their connections long enough to look through
    microsoft.com for info about this supposed compatibility issue, but couldn't
    find a clue about what to do other than to download the latest broadband
    networking software.
    After running the install wizard from the downloaded software instead of the
    CD that came with the adapter, I still couldn't get my network to connect. I
    had been using encryption setting. Because I wasn't having any trouble
    accessing neighbors' unencrypted networks, I thought perhaps the encryption
    was the problem. I turned off encryption at my base station, but that didn't
    do the trick either.
    I've about run out of ideas. It appears that somehow the change to Media
    Center version is creating the problem, but I'm open to any and all
    suggestions.
    As a last kick in the rear, perhaps unrelated I guess, I'll note that after
    turning off the encryption setting, Microsoft Outlook suddenly started
    throwing up error messages at me whenever I try to check my e-mail. I'm
    having to use e-mail through my broadband provider's Web site.

    Bulldog Bob, Dec 15, 2006

  2. Bulldog Bob

    Chris H. Guest

    The issue is the software you're using off the CD is probably the old
    version of the base station management stuff and is not compatible with XP
    SP2 (not specifically MCE). You really don't need that old software.

    Try opening Control Panel, then going to Administrative Tools/Services.
    You'll find toward the bottom an entry for Wireless Zero Configuration.
    Enable that, and make sure it is running.

    Now go to Network Connections and select the icon representing your network
    adapter and select Properties. You'll see three tabs, General, Wireless
    Networks and Advanced. First, go to the Wireless Networks tab and make sure
    there's a check mark in the box near the top, "Use Windows to configure my
    wireless network settings."

    After that, you should see the Preferred networks section about mid-screen,
    where your wireless network's name should be listed. Highlight that with a
    single left-click, then select Properties. On the Association tab, make
    sure the Network name (SSID) matches your LAN name, select Open in the top
    box and then Data encryption of WEP (if that's what you're using. Put in
    the Network key (and then confirm when the box appears below). If there is
    a check mark next to "The key is provided for me automatically" remove it.
    OK your way out, and restart the system.

    Chris H., Dec 15, 2006

  3. Bulldog Bob

    Gary Tsang Guest

    Gary Tsang, Dec 15, 2006
  4. Bulldog Bob

    Bulldog Bob Guest

    Thanks Chris. I'll give this a shot when I get home tonight and keep my
    fingers crossed. Sounds like good advice, though.

    Bulldog Bob, Dec 15, 2006