old laptop rarely starts but if it boots=no problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joebushkin, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. joebushkin

    joebushkin Guest

    I have an old Dell Latitude (P-3) with Windows 98SE.I still use it
    because it goes for days without crashing,does everything I need
    beautifully,has tons of little macros and shortcuts and things that
    would take hours/days to replicate on XP.

    When it boots it still performs perfectly.The problem is that
    increasingly it won't start at all.

    When the power is turned on the power LED lights and stays lit.The
    other LEDS flash and that's it.The hard drive never spins and the
    backlight never goes on.At this point every 20th time or so,it WILL
    start and then there will be no problems till it suspends to RAM or is
    turned off.It used to wake up from suspend,but now it often does not.(I
    stopped using suspend because of this).

    One thing that's new:The internal battery is almost shot.It goes from
    100% to 10% in a couple of minutes.However the heavy duty add-on
    battery is in excellent shape (4 hrs)and is always attached.The
    charging circuit also seems to be a little flaky as it sometimes shows
    a green LED (fully charged) when this is not the case although the
    add-on always has a good charge.The problem occurs both when the power
    adapter is plugged in and not plugged in.

    Could the charging circuitry/battery state be responsible for this?The
    POST proceeds normally when it proceeds at all.This seems to be
    something that happens before the POST runs? So my question is what
    could be stopping the machine from starting if the POST,BIOS,and all
    hardware work perfectly for days when the computer does start up?

    Thanks for any ideas.

    joebushkin, Sep 24, 2006

  2. joebushkin

    JANA Guest

    This can be from a number of issues. It is possible that the internal CMOS
    battery is weak, and after trying the computer a fair number of times, it
    properly reads from the CMOS to start.

    It is also possible that there are files on the hard disk that may have some
    damage to them, due to the hard disk starting to have bad blocks, or some of
    the files required to start the computer have some problems.

    Have you tried running the utilities for checking and fixing the files on
    the disk drive, and the defragmenting software that is with Win 98? These
    are best run from in the safe mode.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Sep 24, 2006

  3. joebushkin

    richard Guest

    If you can find a replacement battery for it, replace all of them.
    The power quickly draining to 10% suggests that it's life span is almost
    kaput.
    This is most likely causing the slow, eratic, boot up.

    richard, Sep 24, 2006