    Question is: How to make partition on 40 GB HD for both.
    I search on Net but I didn't find something easy explanation for my problem.
    Any advice is very welcome! Thanks!

    Adi, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Adi

    Pennywise Guest

    |>My friend, craftsman use CNC punch machine with software, thats is ranning
    |>only on DOS 6.22.
    |>Computer became corruped and he buy new one.
    |>His wish is to have on this new computer: MSDOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE.
    |>Question is: How to make partition on 40 GB HD for both.
    |>I search on Net but I didn't find something easy explanation for my problem.
    |>Any advice is very welcome! Thanks!

    Both need to be boot'd from C: drive.

    Two partitions would be formatted to FAT16, C:\ would run Win98 and
    D:\ be pretty much a storage space for DOS programs.

    He would install DOS 6.22 first, make sure it works, then install
    Win98. WIn98 will rename a few files boot files, these will end in the
    ..dos extension. MSDOS.SYS would be edited to show a menu on boot up
    allowing him to select either WIn98 or DOS to boot into.

    There is another option and that's to use DOSBox from Win98.
    http://tinyurl.com/9kddl -

    Pennywise, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Adi

    Joel Rubin Guest

    Does he really have to have both? Win95/98/ME has built in DOS unlike
    Win NT/2000/XP/2003 server.

    You can boot Win98 to a DOS prompt or exit Windows to DOS mode if a
    DOS box doesn't work for what you want to do.

    Joel Rubin, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Adi

    Adi Guest

    Programm that he use don't work in DOS 7 or later (compuer hang), but in DOS
    6.22 works normaly.
    So, he need Windows 98 SE for other non dos applications, but punch software
    run in DOS 6.22 only.

    Adi, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Adi

    Miles Ahead Guest

    The thing you have to do is make a small C: partition within the FAT16 limit.
    See this page for some explanation:
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/bios/sizeGB2.html

    You can actually install most of Win98 on D: with a few MB of system
    files on C: to leave maximum space on C: for your Dos stuff.

    Also you want a boot loader program so your system comes up
    with a menu to select the OS to boot. There are free ones out
    there. Just google on Dos/Windows boot loader utilities.

    Miles Ahead, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Adi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Jul 8, 2005