    attractions, landmark buildings, bridges, subway
    trains, etc.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Probably should been shot themselves. But that
    might have violated their civil rights. When will
    this country learn.

    Silvio Manuel, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Da, comrade! If Josef was in charge, none of this business with
    foreigners would have happened!

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Paul J Gans

    Paul H. Guest

    How many photons did they take? Did they use a massless boson containment
    field or your standard micro-wormhole?

    I guess their nuclear research is farther along than we thought!

    Paul H., Jun 30, 2004
  5. Paul J Gans

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Hmmm. You could well be right! But I don't think it
    is right for them to steal our photons. They are *our*
    photons and nobody else can have them.

    So there.

    :)

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jun 30, 2004
  6. it wasn't just taking photos, it was filming too (actually video taping)...
    this is how it was reported by the new york times..

    Two Iranian Guards at U.N. Expelled for Filming New York Sites
    By WARREN HOGE

    Published: June 30, 2004

    NITED NATIONS, June 29 - The United States has expelled two security guards
    at Iran's United Nations mission after they were seen filming and
    photographing New York landmark buildings and parts of the city's
    transportation system, American officials said Tuesday.

    "They were asked to leave because we were very concerned about their
    activities, which weren't compatible with their stated duties," said Richard
    A. Grenell, the spokesman for the American mission.

    The language is common diplomatic wording for espionage cases.

    The two men were ordered out last weekend after pairs of Iranian guards had
    been seen for the third time in two years videotaping bridges, tunnels, the
    Statue of Liberty and other landmark buildings, according to an American
    diplomat. He said the guards were not the same two men who had been seen in
    earlier incidents in June 2002 and November 2003. The expelled men, who were
    not identified, left Saturday night, the official said.

    Stuart Holliday, a deputy American ambassador, said: "As we understand it,
    these individuals were moving around New York City and essentially
    surveilling, taking photographs of a variety of New York landmarks and
    infrastructure and the rest. But obviously this isn't something that's a
    part of protecting their mission here in New York."

    Asked if the men could have been acting as tourists, Mr. Holliday said, "I
    think we have great confidence in the ability of federal law enforcement to
    determine what action and behavior is typical and what is atypical."

    In Washington, Adam Ereli, a State Department spokesman, said, "They had
    been observed by the F.B.I. videotaping various locations from New York
    deemed to be sensitive."

    Mr. Ereli said the filming and photographing by Iranian guards had been a
    "recurring problem," and despite repeated warnings it had continued.

    While the photographing of such sites does not violate a law, security
    officials have been particularly vigilant about apparent surveillance of
    public buildings in New York since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the
    World Trade Center.

    Morteza Ramandi, the press attaché at the Iranian mission at the United
    Nations, issued a statement confirming that the men had left and accusing
    the United States of "conjuring" the surveillance complaint.

    "The guards in question never failed to observe any 'no photography' signs,
    and the videotapes and photos they shot consisted of obvious and popular
    tourist attractions in New York City, which are of interest to any visitors
    in this city, such as the Central Park, museums, parades and the like," Mr.
    Ramandi said. "And we categorically deny that they ever took any photos of
    anything of security or sensitive nature."

    The state-run Iranian News Agency in Tehran said that Iran "deplored" the
    expulsions, and quoted an unidentified Foreign Ministry official as saying,
    "This is aimed at disrupting the daily routine of Iran's permanent
    representation office, and this is not in harmony with accepted norms."

    Iran remains part of the Bush administration's "axis of evil," which
    included North Korea and Iraq under the rule of Saddam Hussein.

    The United States has not had diplomatic relations with Iran since 1979,
    when the American Embassy in Tehran was seized and 52 American diplomats
    were taken hostage by radicals in the aftermath of the Islamic revolution
    that brought the country's cleric government to power. Iranian diplomats in
    New York represent their country only at the United Nations.

    Christopher Muto, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Paul J Gans

    C.G. Guest

    Foreigners filming tourist attractions?!?! Maybe you need to go to Code Purple or something?

    --
    Colm

    : We had a thread a while back on what is was legal and
    : illegal to photograph in the US.
    :
    : In the news today, two Iranian "guards" at the Iranian
    : UN Embassy have been asked to leave the country for
    : taking photons in New York City of major tourist

    C.G., Jun 30, 2004
  8. Paul J Gans

    steve Guest

    Please dont upload binary attachments to this newsgroup.

    Thanks

    steve, Jun 30, 2004