    new one like nothing happened.

    Is this possible

    Thanks a bunch gurus

    naguaramipana, Jan 17, 2008

  2. naguaramipana

    Mike Easter Guest

    The majority of applications need to be 'properly' installed by an
    installation program which makes the necessary changes and added files
    in places besides the program's folder, so those programs can't be
    installed and function properly without the installation
    process/program.

    A few applications can be operated properly with the files which are in
    the program folder without registry or additional file support. Such
    apps are sometimes referred to as 'portable'.

    So there's a small chance that some program or another on the old
    computer may be able to be run without its install, but that is
    unlikely.

    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2008

  3. Thanks Mike

    So there is nothing out there that can bring the iamge of the hard
    drive including registry in order for this to happen, of cource I dont
    want the OS as I am bring a new OS on my new computer.

    naguaramipana, Jan 17, 2008
  4. naguaramipana

    John Holmes Guest

    naguaramipana "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Nothing is *impossible*, depending on your skills on computers and OS's.
    The fact that you have to ask however implies that you are, most likely,
    not in the posession of the knowledge to accomplish this excercise...
    Furthermore, you are a bit vague. You never mentioned what OS are you
    currently running and what would be the new OS, for example. Or what
    programs do you want to transfer, or what kind of data? Maybe, just
    maybe, with some more info you provide, we can help you.

    John Holmes, Jan 17, 2008
  5. naguaramipana

    Mike Easter Guest

    Transferring everything is possible.

    The applications have had their files installed into the old system's
    diskspace and registry, some in the application's folder, some elsewhere
    related to the old operating system's files.
    That isn't what I said and that isn't what you asked. You asked about
    being able to run applications which are installed on old system which
    old applications you don't have an install program for.

    An image of the hard drive is relatively easy to create, which includes
    the old installed OS's registry and associated files. You can even boot
    into the old system 'alternatively' to booting into the new system.
    The old applications are installed into the old operating system. When
    you are running the new operating system, you have to run the
    applications which are installed into it, or else run applications which
    can be run without being installed into the new OS. Most applications
    need to be installed into an operating system to be able to run, but not
    all.

    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2008

  6. J.

    I have w2k on my old computer, Now I have wxp pro sp2 on my new
    computer and I would like to have everything including my
    applications excel,word,peachtree ,all my application copy to the new
    computer, I am pretty sure that maybe there are applications out
    there for us the one without knwoledge that we can use to accomplish
    what you the ones with knowledge can do. Now you being the one with
    knowledge is why we, the people without the knowledge come here to a
    forum to get help otherwise we would be on the other side where you
    the one with the knowledge are, helping those who does not have the
    knowledge like we are, to understand the process like mike have done.

    Thanks a bunch for your imput, is well appreciated

    naguaramipana, Jan 17, 2008
  7. thanks a bunch mike

    naguaramipana, Jan 17, 2008
  8. naguaramipana

    richard Guest

    As you want to change the OS completely, bringing in the old registry
    is useless. So all you would need to do is transfer the setup files
    and reinstall the various programs.

    richard, Jan 17, 2008
  9. naguaramipana

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    The only practical way to "transfer" the applications would be to reinstall.

    In theory, one could copy the programs over...
    then from the old machine export all the registry entries...
    then on the new machine...import them...
    but since there could be hundreds of entires...
    and because there are bound to be differences in the two different OS's...
    it would really be quite impractical

    philo, Jan 17, 2008
  10. naguaramipana

    Pennywise Guest

    Yes there is an application you could of used, InstallRite. You needed
    to use it when you first installed your programs.
    http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

    Pennywise, Jan 18, 2008