    never opened or used. I want to know if I install this now, will it be able
    to get free virus updates for a year, or whatever the default time period
    is? Thanks!

    Julie P., Mar 19, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    carson Guest

    carson, Mar 19, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Excellent! Thanks Carson. I have lots of old AV software like this lying
    around!
    I won't have to pay for AV software for the next 20 years or so.

    J.

    Julie P., Mar 19, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    carson Guest

    I was just doing some reading on the mcafee site
    make sure you update the program and add the xp patch
    http://download.mcafee.com/us/updates/upgrade_patches.asp

    carson, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Julie P., Mar 19, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Vanguard Guest

    Except that how to detect spyware/malware/rootkits/etc. will get more
    complicated than just using signatures, along with getting more
    complicated in how to eradicate the nasties. You'll be left behind
    blowing out the old dust bunnies that are defunct. Also, AV makers will
    only update to to however far they provide updates for old versions.
    That means eventually you won't get any signature updates. If the
    product is already unsupported, you might not get any updates at all, so
    you'll have to monitor if updating gets you anything. You definitely
    won't get any program updates via the auto/manual update mechanism they
    proved so problems and holes in the product won't get fixed. 4 years,
    or more, is pretty old for an anti-virus engine. Nothing stopping you
    from installing and see what happens.

    Vanguard, Mar 19, 2005