Okay ...now I have to reformat....help reqd.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by NZed, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Thanks to those who forwarded the file viaagp1.sys

    It seems my settings are all gone....ie cannot get the start menu when I
    open up.

    So I thought I should reformat my C drive and start all over again.

    Can someone run through this for me with Win Xp..or point me in the right
    direction.

    Whats the short cut keys to enter the dos...or do I ?

    alt F6 or alt F8 ....
    I cannot manage to find it.
    and then
    C:/format C:
    is that correct ?
    then follow instructions ?
    I may also wish to partition the hardrive. c and d

    Its probably the best thing I should of done at the beginning instead of
    wasting all my time.

    Thanks

    David

    NZed, Nov 29, 2003

  2. NZed

    T.N.O. Guest

    ok... restart your PC, go into the bios(most likely press "del" key)
    There will be a setting somewhere in there about boot options, as in
    which drive it will boot from first, set this to CD.

    Chuck your XP CD in the drive, and follow the instructions.

    T.N.O., Nov 29, 2003

  3. NZed

    EAgle Guest

    There is no need to go into DOS, just configure your BIOS to boot from CD
    and then just boot using the windows XP cd. During setup just select the
    option to format the drive that should do that trick.

    EAgle

    EAgle, Nov 29, 2003
  4. NZed

    PseUDO Guest

    First restart computer then hit the key that lets you enter the BIOS, it may
    come up on your screen each time you boot saying "press F1 to enter setup"
    or something like that.

    Once you are in the BIOS go to the boot section and change the boot order to
    cdrom drive at the top of the list.

    Then put your windows xp disk into the drive and then save the BIOS settings
    and reboot.

    Your windows xp CD should then load up with a " press any key" message,
    press a key to start the xp CD loading.

    Then follow the instructions for reloading, it will tell you that you
    already have xp installed, but ignore that because a few steps later you get
    the option of reformating the partition for a new clean install of windows.

    Once windows is loaded up take out the CD and then reboot and go back into
    the BIOS and change the boot order back to "hard drive" at the top of the
    list, then save and exit the BIOS, restart the computer and your all set to
    go.

    No need to worry about using format c: commands anymore!!.

    Hope this helps.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Nov 29, 2003
  5. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Thanks guys

    Found out my first little problem.

    My keyboard has a F function key to get the F keys to work.(annoying )
    like a shift key.

    Yes ...once I found that I could get to the bios.

    Then confirm and reset my cd to start on boot up.

    Now its going to plan and reformating the hardrive.

    Thanks again

    David

    NZed, Nov 29, 2003
  6. NZed

    Fishb8 Guest

    Hi PSEudo
    "Once windows is loaded up take out the CD and then reboot and go back into
    the BIOS and change the boot order back to "hard drive" at the top of the
    list, then save and exit the BIOS, restart the computer and your all set to
    go."
    Why does the boot order need to be changed back to hard drive, first boot.
    Mine is still set on CD, first boot and it works ok.
    Roy

    Fishb8, Nov 30, 2003
  7. NZed

    Brendan Guest

    It doesn't.

    The correct order is:

    1. Floppy
    2. CDROM
    3. Hard drive

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Dec 1, 2003
  8. NZed

    T.N.O. Guest

    what makes this correct, and any other incorrect?

    T.N.O., Dec 1, 2003
  9. NZed

    PseUDO Guest

    Some systems will slow down while booting in order to check for either a
    floppy disk or a cd , by putting hard drive first it will detect your
    installed operating system and boot up straight away, which in turn gives
    you a faster boot up time.

    On some systems of course the time difference is hardly noticeable, but on
    many older systems , the delay is noticeable.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Dec 1, 2003
  10. NZed

    Brendan Guest

    My Say So.

    To have any removeable disk AFTER a bootable HD means the removeables
    are only bootable in event of removal/destruction of the bootsector of
    the HD.

    The floppy comes first because some tutorials and how-to's for
    beginners assume it is first.

    Brendan, Dec 1, 2003
  11. NZed

    Brendan Guest

    Even on the older systems, a delay of as much as 5 seconds would not
    worry any practical person.

    Brendan, Dec 1, 2003
  12. NZed

    T.N.O. Guest

    As is the nature of usenet, I disagree... there is no correct way, and
    no incorrect way... if I have no floppy drive, and no CDrom drive, then
    your suggested way is very incorrect... if I want to decrease my boot
    time, your suggestion may not be the best option for me.

    Personally I have mine set to Hdd... I can hit F12 if I want to see the
    boot menu.

    T.N.O., Dec 1, 2003
  13. NZed

    cowboyz Guest

    me too. Mine is set to HD only and if I hit F8 on first start I get a boot
    menu that will let me choose FDD or any IDE port.

    cowboyz, Dec 1, 2003
  14. NZed

    Brendan Guest

    Nope, the bios will simply skip them.
    I suggest the 3 seconds you gain is irrelevant when compared to the
    manifest benefits of the fantastically superior thompson
    configuration.
    Meaning you have to sit poised over the keyboard like a striking snake
    to change the boot device.

    Where us correct people simply put a disk in and reboot.

    Lets see now:

    1. bend all your concentration to using the vulcan nerve pinch on the
    computer to get it to boot the cdrom

    or

    2. put the disk in the drive and reboot, and spend the time
    entertaining the wife and being fed rich foriegn delicacies by nubian
    courtesans trained in the art of pleasuring a man...

    It's a tricky one ;)

    Brendan, Dec 2, 2003
  15. NZed

    T.N.O. Guest

    Oh almighty Brendan, why oh why did I ever question you.

    T.N.O., Dec 2, 2003
  16. NZed

    Brendan Guest

    'Tis a puzzlement to the mightest of minds....

    Brendan, Dec 2, 2003