    run from a USB key or a CD drive to stress the CPU and RAM so make
    sure they're OK before investigating further?

    Thank you.

    Gilles Ganault, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Gilles Ganault

    PvdG42 Guest

    I have three AMD dual core 64's, two running 32 bit XP and one running 32
    bit Vista without issues.
    If you have issues (like mysterious reboots) with 32 bit XP, you'll likely
    have them with a 64 bit OS as well. Installing the 64 bit XP, after finding
    all the necessary drivers (you hope), probably isn't worth it, unless you
    intend to get > 4 Gig of RAM or want to run software that requires a 64 bit
    OS.

    Google for Prime95, Memtest86 and Orthos for tools to stress test your
    system.

    Also, check the AMD site for CPU drivers.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871,00.html

    PvdG42, Jul 26, 2007

  3. I'm on my way.

    Thanks!

    Gilles Ganault, Jul 26, 2007
  4. Did you install any extra drivers for your new desktop ?

    If so might be a driver issue.

    Try removing all drivers.

    Then try one driver at a time for a while.

    Or vice versa is maybe even better.

    If you suspect some driver is the problem then remove it.

    Unless you don't really mind the reboots.

    Best is to make sure you get the blue screen.

    Windows XP automatically reboots, unless you tell it to show the blue
    screen.

    The blue screen contains information which might further give you hints
    which driver is at fault.

    Then you might remove that driver and/or try an updated/new driver.

    If you have an nvidia firewall then I can asure you that's your problem
    right there ;)

    Nvidia firewall drivers are buggy as hell, don't install them ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 26, 2007
  5. I suspect this is what it is... but I can't find anything: Since it's
    one of those small-factor boxes, I didn't add anything in there: I
    only plugged an external IDE drive through USB.

    I ran Mem86 and MS' Windows Memory Manager, with no fault. Also ran
    Hitachi's disk utility, no error either.

    More likely, it's a .SYS file installed by an application. I'll see if
    System Recovery solves the issue.
    Mmm... No firewall, but this box does have an embedded Nvidia video on
    the mobo: "NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 graphics render stunning imagery and
    3D graphics while PureVideo™ technology enhances 2D video playback"
    http://global.acer.com/products/desktop/asl100.htm
    Unfortunately, as it's on the motherboard...

    Thanks for the tips.

    Gilles Ganault, Jul 28, 2007