    Is it safe to unplug the 15-pin VGA monitor cable from a running PC's
    grahpics card and then plug it back in again later -- without turning off
    the computer?

    Dorian, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Dorian

    Flying Rat Guest

    no. Don't even think about it.

    Always shut down first before doing that.

    FR

    Flying Rat, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Dorian

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In Flying Rat
    Why? How's it significantly different from powering off the monitor
    while the PC is running?

    Bert Hyman, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Dorian

    philo Guest

    It's probably not a great idea but I do it all the time
    and have never had a problem...

    philo, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Dorian

    k Guest

    The manuals say that you should dont do it...
    But I ignore and do it anyway all the time...

    Have been using computers 10 years, never a problem.

    :)

    k, Dec 31, 2005
  6. Dorian

    Tony Bronze Guest

    Because if you are unfortunate enough to be charged with static, the
    static shock can blow your video card, if not your motherboard - it
    happened to me once and I am a bit more careful when I hot plug
    monitors/printers now.

    Tony Bronze, Dec 31, 2005
  7. Dorian

    Trax Guest

    |>Is it safe to unplug the 15-pin VGA monitor cable from a running PC's
    |>grahpics card and then plug it back in again later -- without turning off
    |>the computer?

    I changed monitors on an AmigA like I had many times before, shorted
    two pins and destroy'd my Denise chip (video).

    Granted the PC doesn't output 15 volts thru the monitor port like the
    AmigA, but I'm much more cautious now.

    Trax, Dec 31, 2005
  8. Dorian

    Junk Guest

    Hmmm.. How did you manage to unscrew and pull the plug out of the socket
    *without* touching some metal part of the case/screw/plug and thereby
    discharge any static you may have??

    I'd say its more likely you somehow moved the graphic card in its slot (very
    easily done if there's no clip) and damaged the card that way.

    Junk, Dec 31, 2005
  9. Dorian

    Junk Guest

    That could of happened and had the same consequences if you had turned the
    computer off as well though....

    Junk, Dec 31, 2005
  10. Dorian

    Trax Guest

    |>> I changed monitors on an AmigA like I had many times before, shorted
    |>> two pins and destroy'd my Denise chip (video).

    |>That could of happened and had the same consequences if you had turned the
    |>computer off as well though....

    Not suppose to be a problem if the power is off, but as I mention'd
    I'm much more cautious now; And I shut down my AmigA when I change
    cords now.

    Trax, Dec 31, 2005
  11. Dorian

    Mitch Guest

    And we're not just talking about flowing water -- there is
    bidirectional data, and devices which are charged only while operating,
    and an amount of charge in continuous flow, I'm sure.

    Technology is rarely just dumb data any more; it shouldn't be
    interrupted.

    On the other hand, the video out on my laptop specifically stated I can
    connect while running and while both devices are on. I don't know if
    that implies that it uses a different kind of controller or not, but I
    wouldn't do it unless the manual said I could.

    Mitch, Dec 31, 2005
  12. Dorian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Same here - but more like 25 years. I swap most anything (external) without
    shutting down. Of course, certain devices won't run afterwards - like a
    serial mouse. But I've never lost a component yet. Now, obviously, you won't
    want to pull parts off the mobo while powered up <g>

    In k spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2005
  13. One more contribution to the discussion: doing some end-user maintainance
    and no problem so far, when exchanging monitors, attaching beamers or
    changing crt for lcds.
    It is a good idea to touch the metal backplate of the computer, and not
    apply too much force to prevent dislocating the graphic card.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 31, 2005
  14. Dorian

    Tony Bronze Guest

    Unplugging the old one was fine. It was picking up the replacement,
    carrying it across the carpet and then as the plug approached the socket
    on the graphic card, I saw the little blue flash and heard the distinctive
    static 'snap' noise before the system shut down, never to work again :-( .
    I thought it was a good idea not to plug the monitor into the mains first
    but with hind sight, it may of earthed it.

    Tony Bronze, Dec 31, 2005
  15. Dorian

    AGEE Guest

    No.
    Unless the device you are plugging/unplugging is designed with that in
    mind(eg. USB) it is always safest to turn off the computer before
    disconnecting/connecting any peripherals. It's too easy to short
    something out and blow a component. Most monitor connections are metal
    cased. Very easy to catch a pin and short it to earth or another pin

    AGEE, Dec 31, 2005
  16. Dorian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Tony Bronze spewed forth:
    In the US, the 3-prong connector used for PCs does in fact connect the
    ground wire before connecting the power leads. I'm not familiar with the UK
    connections, but I should think it may be similar.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2005
  17. Dorian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Walter Mautner spewed forth:
    Good point - I've had that happen.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2005
  18. Dorian

    Plato Guest

    In theory, you should shut down the pc first. In practice, I've been
    doing such for ten years and have never fried anything.

    Plato, Dec 31, 2005
  19. Dorian

    Plato Guest

    Same here. I wouldnt to it tho with ps/2 mice/keyboards.

    Plato, Dec 31, 2005
  20. Dorian

    Todd H. Guest

    I've been told it's a bad thing to do because of some signalling
    voltages and removing loading, blah blah.

    I also know I've done it a few times to no ill effect.

    I suspect the truth lies in the specific implementations of the given
    monitor and video cards in question.

    Todd H., Jan 3, 2006