Ok time to do a partition (system) back up, for real this time.suggestions please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by squirlchatr, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. squirlchatr

    squirlchatr Guest

    I've been meaning to do this forever and it's just too much of a
    hassle to update windows after reinstalling.

    So here I sit with a fully updated reinnstall of win2000 on my
    notebook.

    I would like a program that is as small as possible that hopefully
    doesn't mess with the registry, hopefully can boot
    from cd rom.

    To copy a C: drive with an NTFS fs partition with the MBR intact and
    installed programs and settings intact, to reinstall windows with a
    bootable cd.

    I have different versions of UBCD but non of the utilities will work
    or are limited.

    Any suggestions of freeware that does not have adware and junk with
    it. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh yea and is easy to use.

    squirlchatr, Apr 22, 2009

  2. squirlchatr

    PeeCee Guest

    You need software to create an "Image" of your hard drive.
    Acronis True Image is a popular commercial product that is often available
    as an 'express' version on magazine CD Roms.
    Paragon also produce similar software and similalry available on magazine CD
    Roms.

    Commercial software available for nothing are the tools available from the
    Hard drive manufacturers as a free download.
    For example Seagate's Disk Wizard is good for 'migrating' data from an old
    to new drive.
    Nothing I know of that stops 'migrating' an image from a fresh install back
    to the same drive after it gets corrupted.

    Freeware tools available include:
    DriveImage XML
    Macrim Reflect.
    SelfImage
    etc

    Don't forget to use Google
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=hard+disk+image+freeware&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

    Do remember you will need to manage your personal data in a planned maner so
    you don't loose it when you bang the CD in and hit restore.
    (ie do your backups)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 22, 2009

  3. squirlchatr

    M.L. Guest

    You're going to have a hard time finding an imager that doesn't make
    registry changes.
    Macrium does not support Win 2000.
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 Special Edition
    Features: Boot CD, incremental backups, can restore individual files
    and folders, scheduler
    OS: Win NT/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/2229498/paragon-hard-disk-manager-se
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Features: Boot CD
    Complaints: Cannot restore individual files or folders, no scheduler
    OS: Win 2000/XP/Vista
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/download.html

    M.L., Apr 22, 2009