OK, I admit it. But I'm not leaving either.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by FAQmeister, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. FAQmeister

    FAQmeister Guest

    I thought I could shut those spammers down and I failed, mainly (I
    think) because they've been getting away with it for so long already.
    That shouldn't matter when it comes to exceeding the BI.

    In the past I would have taken the issue to the place were such
    questions can be resolved, news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, but that
    newsgroup is completely overrun by trolls, spammers and other assorted
    losers to the point where it is totally worthless now.

    I have never seen so many clueless individuals in one newsgroup and a
    lot of them are willing to put a lot of effort into defending people who
    are just using the group to line their own pockets. They ridicule and
    try to shout down anyone who complains about the spammers and I've seen
    many of those same people whining about "off-topic" posts which seems
    quite ironic to me.

    Have it your way then. You won't be able to stop any spammers, whether
    you think it's "good" spam or not and this group WILL eventually drown
    in spam as a result.

    Meanwhile, since I have been subjected a lot of flames and threats from
    totally clueless individuals, I have decided that no matter what else
    happens I'm going to continue to maintain and post the faq once a week.
    I think the faq has value and is worth posting anyway and that is enough
    reason for me to continue doing it, but it's now also a way for me to
    take pleasure in annoying those who seem to be so bothered by it.

    The fact that the spammers are still posting their spam doesn't mean
    that they and their defenders were right about whether it is spam or
    not. However if they want to take that attitude then as long as I am
    still posting the faq once a week, using the link in my "sig" and
    maintaining a web site for the faq, it will be a reminder to them that
    everything they said about those things was wrong.

    FAQmeister, Jun 22, 2004

  2. FAQmeister

    Mike Jackson Guest

    In the past I would have taken the issue to the place were such
    As is most of usenet. It's pretty much only around for old time's sake at
    this point. But for the grace of [insert deity here] it hasn't gone the way
    of Gopher. If you have a bunch of free time and want to be some sort of
    crusader, why not tackle issues that are truly important?
    I don't know about anyone else you've campaigned against, but for my part,
    I've been posting more than review links here for quite some time. Look on
    groups.google.com for posts by . Like I said,
    I've been posting here since 1999.

    And hey, I make so little off DVD Verdict that it hardly justifies the time.
    There's about one purchase per 500 unique visits to the site, and the
    average commission per purchase is about $1.17. Most of that goes to pay for
    my upstream, mailing expenses for screener and contest prize distribution,
    and to compensate the editing staff for their efforts. I'm not making jack
    off this. I just want people to read my staff's reviews.
    So why not be a positive voice in the group, not write the FAQ to suit your
    own purposes, and solicit additions and changes from the entire group?
    Besides, few of the questions are legitimately frequently asked. Get some
    help, make it a group thing, and maybe someday people won't think you're
    such a prick.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jun 22, 2004

  3. FAQmeister

    madkevin Guest

    Translation: I'm taking my bat and my ball and I'm going home.

    Kevin "Sidelines" Cogliano

    madkevin, Jun 23, 2004
  4. FAQmeister

    Joe Liquor Guest

    Nice job. No really, it was time well spent (snicker).

    Joe Liquor, Jun 23, 2004
  5. FAQmeister

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Well maybe he;s a psychology grad student working on his thesis and
    we're his rats that he's testing.

    dick
    -- or maybe he;s the rat.

    Dick Sidbury, Jun 23, 2004
  6. FAQmeister

    Joe Liquor Guest

    I hope I personally skewed the test results with my obnoxious replies.

    Joe Liquor, Jun 23, 2004
  7. So how's life on the funny farm?

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jun 23, 2004
  8. FAQmeister

    john33907 Guest

    Maybe you should be a cop when you grow up.

    john33907, Jun 24, 2004
  9. If anyone is looking for some movies reviews, I write for
    Daily-Reviews.com, and I think it's a great site. We try to
    specialize is more offbeat titles, but we review mainstream stuff
    too. Feel free to check it out, the link is in my .sig.

    Some more of my reviews will probably be posted within the next week,
    if anyone is interested.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Jun 25, 2004
  10. FAQmeister

    Video Flyer Guest

    Hi, Aaron,

    I visit your site about every other day or so - you folks are doing a great
    job and I frequently come away with new ideas for discs to rent or buy. I
    particularly dug Mike's review of Destroy All Monsters. Even if I liked that
    movie to begin with I'd definitely be giving this release a w-i-i-i-i-i-de
    berth.

    But, y'know, I think you guys are really working TOO hard at this. No,
    really. Y'all should take a break, kick back........and maybe update that
    'Contests' page. ;-)

    Peace,

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jun 25, 2004
  11. FAQmeister

    Mike Jackson Guest

    If anyone is looking for some movies reviews, I write for
    I have, because we have the same writer working on both sites - Mike Pinsky.
    The guy is probably the single best writer on the internet, unheralded in
    his time. Chuck's a great guy too; I know him from my stretch in the Online
    Film Critics Society.

    Mike Jackson, Jun 25, 2004
  12. FAQmeister

    Justin Guest

    Hey, maybe you can spam them here, too.

    Justin, Jun 25, 2004
  13. FAQmeister

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Have you thought of anything useful to post about yet, Justin? Or are you
    just going to whine about (perceived) spammers, top-posters, and pirates
    some more? Maybe you could create your very own newsgroup devoted to just
    those topics - it would probably occupy your entire day!

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 25, 2004