Oh dear, Linux drops below 1% market share again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Jun 13, 2009

  2. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    Ms Penguin says her cousins are on alot of desktops and they are fishing
    away just fine on routers, NAS, media players and etc.

    Once again, how the hell does anyone know on how many desktops GNU/Linux is
    on? I mean is it a question in the censeus?

    Finally does it matter what OS one has, for it is a matter of personal
    choice.

    Gordon, Jun 13, 2009

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Cousies and all, Ms Penguin appears to have a very small family
    Ms Penguin should teach her offspring how to Google information. Perhaps
    then some of the inbred lack of perspective that nhandicaps that family
    would recede.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/

    "About Our Market Share Statistics ...

    "We use a unique methodology for collecting this data. We collect data from
    the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on-demand network of live
    stats customers. The data is compiled from approximately 160 million
    visitors per month. The information published is an aggregate of the data
    from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and
    referral information is summarized on a monthly, weekly, daily and hourly
    basis.

    "In addition, we classify 430+ referral sources identified as search
    engines. Aggregate traffic referrals from these engines are summarized and
    reported on. The statistics for search engines include both organic and
    sponsored referrals. The websites in our population represent almost all
    countries on earth."

    The sum of personal choice = market share. Deal with it.

    impossible, Jun 13, 2009
  4. impossible

    Max Guest

    About Us:
    Since 1999, Net Applications has been a leading source of applications
    for webmasters and *eMarketers.* Headquartered in Aliso Viejo,
    California, Net Applications distributes its services through over 8,000
    partners and affiliates. These services may also be found at Hitslink,
    Market Share, SurveyWare, SearchTerms.
    We only collect data that agrees with our customers opinions.
    We only collect data from site visitors who use browsers allowed on our
    network.
    We use *accurate* page hit counters. We REALLY do...
    We massage the figures to match the figures our customers want to hear
    We constantly check the data to remove the anomalies that would
    negatively affect our [customers] profit margins.
    Our dedicated staff collect page hit counter figures from all over the
    world.

    Couldn't resist.

    They spout a lout of *big words* to simply say they sell statistics to
    online marketeers and advertisers.

    Hardly an impartial source to make claims about OS share are they.

    Max, Jun 13, 2009
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    You have an issue with any of that? Or are you just trying to fill space?
    Hmmm...This is the site that every freetard in the world was championing
    just last month when they reported that nix had picked up 1% share for the
    first time ever. Was their methodology wrong then?
    Why would you just lie like that?! They restrict no browsers. And indeed
    they count traffic from cewll phones and other appliances, which surely is
    to the benefit of Linux.

    Is 160 million too few for you? Or too many?
    And your preferred method of counting traffic is what exactly?
    Again ...This is the site that every freetard in the world was championing
    just last month when they reported that nix had picked up 1% share for the
    first time ever. Was their methodology wrong then?

    You're an idiot. And you couldn't resist demonstrating that?
    The operating system and browser share stats they provide are absolutely
    free.

    But yes, they sell other data on request. Plenty of businesses are
    interested in getting accurate market share statistics. Nothing wrong with
    that. If the words they use to describe their methodology are too big for
    you, that's your problem.
    Actually, they'd have a strong business interest in being **completely**
    impartial. What does it matter to them what os someone uses? Their clients
    simply want to know where to invest their development resources, advertsiing
    dollars, or whatever. When Linux first hit 1%, MarketShare featured the news
    on their home page for several weeks. Currently, they still feature that
    story along with others about Windows and Android and iPhones.

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  6. impossible

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Jun 14, 2009
  7. impossible

    David Empson Guest

    The "Linux" figure quoted is probably only Linux running on personal
    computers. The stats have a separate entry for Android (0.08%).

    Other devices are rarely used as general purpose web browsers, so this
    0.99% figure doesn't count servers or embedded devices (including
    routers) which are running Linux, only those which are being used to
    actively surf web sites.

    The figures also don't count Windows and Macs which are being used as
    servers or for other special purposes.

    Assuming their methodology is accurate and is not fooled by multiple
    computers hiding behind NAT routers, this suggests that about 1% of
    people in the world with Internet access are actively using Linux as
    their personal computer platform for doing tasks such as web browsing.

    David Empson, Jun 14, 2009
  8. impossible

    impossible Guest

    0.99% actually. But better luck next month.

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  9. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Pssst. It's the 21st century. All aboard!!!

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  10. impossible

    Peter Guest

    No, it means 1% of their sample was identified as using Linux.
    Different samples might give different results, such as
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    which shows 4% Linux and rising.

    Peter, Jun 14, 2009
  11. impossible

    David Empson Guest

    I said "about". You really are impossible.

    Quoting the figures to that degree of accuracy is meaningless if you are
    considering the entire market of web browsing computer users, rather
    than just the surveyed web sites. There will be a margin of error, and
    I'm sure it is more than 1 in 10,000.

    It is the longer term trends for all operating systems which are more
    interesting.

    Since last July:

    Windows has dropped about 3%, with almost every month showing a small
    fall in share.

    Mac has gained about 2%, with most months last year showing a gain,
    peaking in January, then dipped a little and relatively level since
    then.

    Linux has gained about 0.1% with a fair amount of month to month
    variation.

    iPhone has gained about 0.4%, with every month better than or equal to
    the last.

    iPod Touch has gained about 0.1%, most in a couple of spurts with level
    share at other times.

    Android, Java ME and Symbian have all gone from nothing to about 0.08%
    since December (I suspect some of these weren't being recognised
    earlier.)

    Windows Mobile has been flat or dipped slightly, now at 0.05%.

    It is amazing that a mobile platform (iPod + iPod Touch) is rapidly
    approaching the web market share of a desktop platform (Linux). If you
    add in all the mobile platforms, they beat desktop Linux.

    Whatever that might mean.

    David Empson, Jun 14, 2009
  12. impossible

    thingy Guest

    Drops depending on if you take numbers from different sources?

    I went back for a year (0.92) quarter (0.98), month(0.98), and week
    (0.99), so bythat page the trend is actually up....

    Better luck next time troll..........

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 14, 2009
  13. impossible

    thingy Guest

    Exactly....the more interesting statistic is server space....and even
    that's only of passing interest.......

    or maybe webservers...........

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2009/05/27/may_2009_web_server_survey.html

    Its really a non-event....

    but its Ok impossible can be happy knowing as a desktop jockey his job
    is safe....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 14, 2009
  14. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Exactly. So when all the world's freetards celebrated Linux breaking the 1%
    barrier, they were just being silly. Right?
    Yes -- Windows is down, Mac is up, Linux is flat. This is consistent with
    other numbers reported by Net Applications.
    Nothing surprising about that.

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  15. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Ignorance about sampling and statistics seems to be one of your defining
    attributes.

    w3schools does not sample in the way that Market Share or Net Applications
    does -- it simply reports hits on its own site as recorded in its log files.
    So 4% of w3school's customers use Linux -- Wow!

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  16. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Ah, yes...the old thing-thingy-thing2 shuffle. More disappointing news for
    freedtards on the desktop frontr, so....please, please...can't we just talk
    about servers.
    Yes, Apache once had a huge lead on Microsoft at major sites -- something
    like 70% to 20% as recently as 2006. But in terms of active sites, that lead
    is now just 46% to 28% now. What happened?
    He, he. Looking up from your little admin cubicle, I can see how the success
    of others could make you bitter.

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  17. impossible

    impossible Guest

    It's amzing to me just how much inspiration you can take from little blips
    like that.

    97.56% of users run Windows or OsX, and here you are debating whether the
    Linux share is 0.0092 or 0.0099. Heck, let's say the estimate is widely off
    and the true market share of Linux is 0.019, which is about what Nety
    Applications says. 18 years on, it's still in the margin of error.

    OsX is cutting into the Windows lead on the desktop. Linux is simply
    irrelevant.

    impossible, Jun 14, 2009
  18. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    Will Spencer, Jun 14, 2009
  19. ... and those browsers that aren't set to lie (so that some of the "broken"
    web sites will work) of course. That used to be very common. :)

    "Market share" data is usually collected using "sales" of course ... a real
    laugh to anyone that uses *nixes of any sort :) :)
    As you suggest, I've yet to see any market share data that is convincing in
    any way.

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 15, 2009
  20. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Ignorance of business and statistics is a terrific combination. I bet you're
    a big hit in yourt nix user group.

    impossible, Jun 15, 2009