    but I'm still curious what some of you see happening in this fast
    evolving "sport" of ours.

    TigerMoon

    TigerMoon, Nov 21, 2003

  2. TigerMoon

    K2 Guest

    Have you been living in a bunker?

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=foveon+sensor+breakthrough

    K2

    K2, Nov 21, 2003

  3. TigerMoon

    Leonard Guest

    New non-bayer sensor: X5
    Initially available with 5 million sensor locations and featuring
    5 sensors at each location, for not only the traditional red green
    and blue but also light-red and light-blue.
    Will be marketed as 25 megapixel.

    Seriously?
    Storage technology changes.

    Cameras will come with a reasonable amount of memory built-in. Say
    enough to store 36 frames at full-resolution finest-jpeg. Write
    speed will be good enough that you should never have to wait for it.

    Download of images from the camera will be by bluetooth, 802.11 or
    whatever. Printers will come with wireless tranceivers for printing
    straight from camera. Ditto fancy televisions for instant slideshows.
    You'll be able to get portable bulk storage devices so that when the
    camera memory is full you can transfer it to eg a larger amount of
    flash memory, a hard drive, a CD or DVD, whatever.

    Computer elimination

    I'd also expect to see cameras and printers with simple editing
    features like cropping built in - increasing the number of people
    for which having a computer is not essential to using a camera.

    What about a camera you could plug into a modem (or a LAN, wired
    or otherwise - or use GSM or the 3G mobile stuff) and have it
    upload pictures to a website - or email them to your friends?
    or email them to your friends' cameras??

    - Len

    Leonard, Nov 21, 2003
  4. TigerMoon

    Paul H. Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=foveon+sensor+breakthrough

    Have you been living under a bridge? Come on, Troll: let's not use an
    innocently-intentioned post to spark another one of those pointless
    Foveon-versus-Everbody-Else debates. The subject has been thoroughly beaten
    into to the ground and the only people who insist on continuing the
    "discussion" are pedants, True Believers, and the mentally disturbed.

    Frankly, it's given me a headache and I'm going to crack open a bottle of
    "Bayer" aspirin, the only known cure for foveonitis. :)

    Paul H., Nov 21, 2003
  5. TigerMoon

    Mark B. Guest

    Larger sensors, more megapixels, faster frame rates, larger buffers, lower
    prices.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 21, 2003
  6. TigerMoon

    Guest Guest

    Dynamic range is the new megapixels! I think pixel counts are stabilising as
    people settle on the "0 noise" at ISO 100 of the current DSLRs, so unless
    there are big changes in the basic technology, then I don't see the pixel
    pitch changing much, but there may well be more full frame DSLRs at
    affordable prices. I would guess there will be a 10MP full frame for less
    than $2000 within 2 years. Just a guess.

    The latest HP printers already have memory card slots, and can do basic
    image manipulation (saturation, contrast, sharpness, cropping), as I am sure
    some other brands can.

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003