    0
    If he pulls it out of his ass, I don't want it, unless it was wrapped in some kind of protective packaging. :)

    Say, like titanium.

    The Modfather, Dec 11, 2005

  2. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Figured I might share with you some of the fun stuff we did and the cool scenery :)

    First we have Madonna and Toby, the neighbours pets. Madonna is the pig, by the way :p
    [​IMG]

    Next is the all important toilet sign, but with a difference.In New Zealand, the toilet is known as the "Water Closet"
    [​IMG]

    We thought this sign was pretty funny too.
    [​IMG]

    And another sign, the name of a maori culture/thermal activities place in Rotorua.
    [​IMG]

    Now for some scenery. Rolling hills covered with green grass :)
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    More to come, stupid 8 image limit.

    XhArD, Dec 11, 2005

  3. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    And here the rest are :)
    [​IMG]

    The Jaguar E Type that my uncle owns.
    [​IMG]

    Now... My Uncle Ian and his restored 1906 Reo. Single cylinder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This shows how huge the flywheel is on this thing
    [​IMG]

    So now you know what I've been doing for 3 weeks :)

    XhArD, Dec 11, 2005
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Holy sheet Batman, that's a long name. Reminds me of the lost Native American tribe, they were known as the Fuggawii tribe, they'd keep wandering around saying "Wheredafuggawii". :)

    The Maori are fascinating. I wanna get my face tattooed! Then go to Samoa and get my legs tattooed too. :)

    P.S. HOLY CRAP! Is that a REAL REO!?!?! That thing is FREAKING AWESOME!!!! (I love antique cars, I'd just love to have a 1:18th scale die cast of that baby). Wow!

    The Modfather, Dec 11, 2005
  5. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    is it just me or is ur uncle tired? maybe hes been working too hard on that die cast model for modfather :D

    unholy, Dec 11, 2005
  6. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Gives new meaning....

    ...to the importance of wiping your hard drive!:p

    bigal, Dec 11, 2005
  7. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yes, it is a real Reo :p And believe it or not, the entire body is made of wood, just like the original. You see the wheel covers? Wood. He doesn't realise he's an artist by building this thing. And he'd never even tried to shape wood like that before, he just did what he thought might be right, and it worked. He's really good at building stuff that'd be impossible for most people, I'll see if I can find a photo of his pipe organ :p He's currently building a 72-pipe wooden organ, about 1.5 feet across. I don't know the actual scale, but it's freakin' awesome. When I was there he'd done about 50 pipes. It has a handle at the back that powers the bellows in the bottom. The bellows force air through tubes which lead to the pipes. To tune each pipe, he uses a guitar tuner. when the tuner reads it as the correct note he takes it inside and gets my auntie to tune it against the piano. I'll try to get a photo of it, but I don't think we have any :( I do have a video of it working though, I'll upload it to savefile.com.

    EDIT: Just uploaded a video of the Reo, and the organ. The Reo video is just over 9mb, the organ one is 8.6mb. If you want modfather, I can upload a video of the Reos flywheel close up, its 5mb.

    Link to Reo video: http://www.savefile.com/files/8302190

    And the link to the organ video: http://www.savefile.com/files/4939641

    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
    XhArD, Dec 11, 2005
  8. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ha, that's awesome dude. The organ sounds like a calliope but the REO is so cool. Now, go get it and use it to build a computer in it. :) Hehe. Your uncle is a talented fellow.

    The Modfather, Dec 12, 2005
  9. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Damn straight he is. Keep in mind that that organ is only using 20something pipes out of 72. I didn't get a movie of it with 58 :( That's the most pipes I saw it with though, didn't see 72. Also, we discovered something with the piano roll that tells which notes to play. When that video was recorded, the paper was .5 centimetres out of line, so every pipe was playing the notes that the previous pipe was supposed to play. When we realised what was going on, we fixed it and it sounds a million times better. I took some audio recordings of it, dunno how they turned out though. That's a REALLY loud organ for its size. I'll go search for the audio recordings now, hope they worked aight.

    EDIT: Two audio clips for you to hear. The first is of the Reo starting, chuggin' a bit, stalling. Restarting, shifting to reverse and backing into the shed. Just as an added touch at the end, it blows the horn :p
    http://savefile.com/files/6673693

    The second file is one with the next row of pipes mounted on the organ. Much better quality too, the camera that took the video didn't have a very good mic. This was taken on my mp3 player instead.
    http://www.savefile.com/files/1526945

    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
    XhArD, Dec 12, 2005
  10. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's really cool dude, hehe, still sounds more like a calliope than an organ but hell, it's wood, I doubt you're going to get a pipe organ sound from it, still that's amazingly creative and inventive. Why doesn't your uncle do casemods? He'd be a natural. Get him on the forums here, we'll convince him in no time flat. Have 'em drooling over dual core Opterons and 7800 GTX OC's like the rest of us. :)

    If he ever wants to sell his REO, lemmy know okay? :)

    The Modfather, Dec 12, 2005
  11. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    He's not really a technological kind of person. He doesn't know much about computers or anything, and I don't think he really wants to :p Just so long as his neighbour Hinemoa can get rid of any viruses he gets, he's happy :p And my dad showed me another video I must have missed, it's a much better one of the organ :) About 9mb, worth it I reckon. Uploading now, I'll add the link later. Unfortunately it was taken with Uncle Ians camera, which only films in .mov format :( Stupid quicktime.

    EDIT: Here's the link to the video :)
    http://www.savefile.com/files/2160572

    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
    XhArD, Dec 12, 2005
  12. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh oh....

    ...competition. Maybe Big Al's Computers should start that pipe organ project before someone else does! :ahhhh:

    bigal, Dec 12, 2005
  13. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Good luck :p It must be damn near impossible to get right, but when you do it'd be mad.

    XhArD, Dec 12, 2005
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah but he could make it so if his CPU goes over a certain temperature it plays Bach's Tocata & Fugue in Dm. That'd be cool. :)

    Alright, look man, it's simple, tell your uncle that modding computers is just like building organs, except with metal and plastic and not wood. Then show him some killer games and he'll be hooked. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 12, 2005
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Drunken Santas run riot in Auckland

    Did you see Santa Claus over in New Zealand? Check this out::fluff:

    Saturday, December 17, 2005; Posted: 8:42 p.m. EST (01:42 GMT)

    WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A group of 40 people dressed in Santa Claus outfits, many of them drunk, went on a rampage through Auckland, New Zealand's largest city, robbing stores, assaulting security guards and urinating from highway overpasses, police said Sunday.

    The rampage, dubbed "Santarchy," began early Saturday afternoon when the men, wearing ill-fitting Santa costumes, threw beer bottles and urinated on cars from an overpass, said Auckland Central Police spokesman Noreen Hegarty.

    She said the men then rushed through a central city park, overturning garbage containers, throwing bottles at passing cars and spraying graffiti on office buildings.

    One man climbed the mooring line of a cruise ship before being ordered down by the captain. Other Santas, objecting when the man was arrested, attacked security staff, who were later treated by paramedics, Hegarty said.

    The remaining Santas entered another downtown convenience store and carried off beer and soft drinks.

    "They came in, said 'Merry Christmas' and then helped themselves," store owner Changa Manakynda said.

    Two security guards were treated for cuts after being struck by beer bottles, Hegarty said. Three people, including the man who climbed on the cruise ship, were arrested and charged with drunkenness and disorderly behavior.

    Alex Dyer, a spokesman for the group, said Santarchy was a worldwide movement designed to protest the commercialization of Christmas.

    bigal, Dec 18, 2005
  16. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    That was on December 10? i wasn't in Auckland at the time, I was back in Wanganui. Had to get up at 3am to drive to the airport :( It's an hour from Wanganui, 8 hours from Auckland, so yeah :p How strange though. We had some guys dressed as Santas beaten up around here. Some Muslim nutjobs beat them up at a shopping centre.

    XhArD, Dec 19, 2005
  17. bigal

    bigal

    Joined: