Office Professional 97 vs Office Professional 2000 SR-1

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Me/PDX, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. Me/PDX

    Me/PDX Guest

    On my machine I have registered Office Professional 97 that I purchased.

    I have in my possession Office Professional 2000 SR-1 (for distribution with
    a new pc only) from my wife's office...it was registered to their Dell that
    is no longer in use.

    What are the implications if:

    (1) I load the 2000 version on my machine and use it without trying to
    register it?

    (2) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try to register it?

    (3) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and register it?

    (4) I load the 2000 version on my machine and try use it and register it
    and get updates for it?

    Your advice is appreciated!!!!!

    Me/PDX, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Me/PDX

    JANA Guest

    Version has newer enhancements than 97.

    JANA, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Me/PDX

    Sultan Guest

    Well - the legal answer would be that since the license is an OEM (
    it came with the Dell) then the software can not be installed on
    another pc - whether it is working or not. OEM license live and die
    on the original pc.

    The implications for all is a fine if you were caught.

    Sultan, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Me/PDX

    MrGrumpy Guest

    The other implication being, if its an early enough version, there is no
    online product licence verification procedure - As you get with winxp where
    if its an unlawfull copy or all ready registered you cannot update it, or in
    some circumstances not use it after a period.
    OEM software can often be purchased legitimately, at least its not been
    tested in law. Anyway whats to say you have'nt purchased origonal sys?

    MrGrumpy, Apr 18, 2005
  5. MS introduced activation beginning with Office 2000 with SP1 already
    included. Chances are the version the OP has will require activation.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Apr 18, 2005