Off loading images from digital cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jbert, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. jbert

    jbert Guest

    I have seen several post regarding the off loading of images from
    digital cameras while on vacation. Most have suggested buying mini hard
    drive type devises, buying extra or larger 'cards' for your camera or
    bringing a lap top along.

    I do not wish to purchase any new devices, I will be traveling by air
    and do not wish to drag along a lap top and I have an older model camera
    (with only 32m and 1 64m cards) that I am planning to replace with s
    DSLR in the future and therefore do not want to be more cards that will
    not fit the new camera.

    So, I was wondering if any one has tried this. I have several Jump
    Drives (256m) available and was thinking of going to a local library to
    transfer the images from the camera directly to the Jump Drive using
    windows explorer. Has anyone attempted this? Would libraries allow this?

    Thanks for you time. JAB
    jbert, Jun 24, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. jbert

    Gavin Guest

    Depends,some places disable the USB ports either in the OS, or by
    physically disconnecting / blocking them.

    Also it depends if you need to load a driver to get them out of the
    camera, you might be better buying a USB card reader (the multi ones
    are dirt cheap these days so you'll probably be OK for a future
    camera) as they are driverless in XP that most places have. as that
    wasy they'll just be seperate removeable drives and you won't need a
    Gavin, Jun 24, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. jbert

    ecm Guest

    An older camera will probably need a driver to interface with a
    computer in a library - and I'm certain they'll be locked right down to
    prevent any installation of new software. I'd also bet they'd block
    mounting a flash drive or another virtual drive (like a camera);
    there's too many malicious people out there these days - they destroy
    things just because they can. At my local library they only allow
    access to the internet (and that is Net-Nanny'd) and the library index;
    you can't even open file explorer or run a program.

    I did have a similar problem in the past, though. I bought the Delkin
    USB Bridge; it'll transfer image files from one USB device (eg. your
    camera or a card reader) to any other USB device; both connected
    devices have to be able to be recognised as a drive without special
    drivers to work with the USB Bridge, but I've got it to work with my
    Oly C-5060, a USB HDD, a flash drive, a card reader, and a newer CD
    burner so far. Not as cheap as some of the little 2.5" HDD-integrated
    devices I've seen if you take the external drive into account, but I
    already owned an external drive, so it was reasonable, and it's very
    flexible. The integrated 2.5" drive devices have their own internal
    power, while I have to use the power supply wall-wart or a battery pack
    for my external drive - the USB bridge doesn't supply enough power for
    a drive.

    Good Luck!
    ecm, Jun 24, 2005
  4. JAB,

    How about this idea--if you find some of the larger retailers nearby
    with photo developing in-house (such as Wal-Mart or Walgreens), they
    will have a kiosk where you order prints from your digital media.

    One of the options I have seen when ordering prints is to burn a copy
    of the images onto a CD. So, you insert your SD from the camera, order
    a set of prints, and order a CD with your images as your backup.

    Yes, this costs a little bit of money, but solves your problem of not
    wanting to carry equipment.

    Got digital photos? Show them off!
    Charles Kerekes, Jun 24, 2005
  5. You'll need to load drivers for your camera onto the library computer.
    I don't they will permit that. If they have active USB ports -- my
    library doesn't -- you could use a card reader, since it doesn't need a
    specific driver other than what the USB port requires. To be more to
    the point: I don't think you'll be able to use library computers to do
    this. Also, most libraries require you to have a library card to even
    use the computers.

    An internet cafe or Kinko's might be your best bet. Or maybe you can
    befriend someone with a notebook computer and a CD burner. ;-)

    For all the trouble you're going through, it might be worth it to buy a
    couple 256MB cards, if your camera supports them. I got several on
    sale at Walmart, while traveling last month, for $19.95 each. They're
    even cheaper used, but watch out for exorbitant shipping charges.
    Stefan Patric, Jun 24, 2005
  6. jbert

    Bob Williams Guest

    If you are going to be in cities, you can go to Kinko's and they will
    download them to a CD for you for about $8-10
    But it would be a shame to pay for a CD download to recover only 64 or
    96 MB of data.
    I'd buy a 512 MB card and make the problem go away so you can spend your
    time enjoying your vacation.
    If you upgrade to a camera that does not use your newly purchased 512 MB
    card, sell it at half price to a friend. Win/Win situation.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Jun 24, 2005
  7. jbert

    ASAAR Guest

    It would have been helpful to state what type of cards your
    current camera uses as well as how many jump drive disks you
    estimate would be needed to hold all of the pictures you plan to
    take. It's possible that a single large card would be sufficient.
    A possible solution would be to purchase that card, and it would be
    usable in your future DSLR by inserting it in an inexpensive
    adapter. If your current camera uses CF cards (reading between the
    lines I'd guess that it probably doesn't) and you think that your
    future DSLR would use SD cards, you could buy a large SD card and
    use it temporarily in your current camera by using an inexpensive CF
    adapter. Some combination of cards/adapters might work for you, and
    would keep you from wasting money on a large card that you'd have no
    use for later on. The only additional cost would be that of the
    card adapter, which may or may not be of any use after you purchase
    your DSLR. The low cost might even be justified on the grounds that
    it would eliminate the need to bring jump drives or a lap top with
    you and might also spare you the loss of valuable "vacation time"
    spent futzing around in a library.
    ASAAR, Jun 25, 2005
  8. Most library computers should accept a usb jumpdrive type
    device...since that is how 95% of all highschool and college students
    carry about files to work on. Now their 'working on actual work'
    computers might be different than their internet computers at a
    specific library, but they definetly should let you open files off a
    usb jumpdrive. A usb->flash reader should look just like a usb
    jumpdrive (removeable device), so you should be able to read a card
    through something like that. However, I'm 99% sure all libraries would
    have the computer locked down so you could only view those files, but
    not copy them to the hard-drive to accomplish what you really want to.
    Hmm, let me think, if there were two active usb ports then you possibly
    could copy directly from one to the other and you wouldn't be storing
    anything locally on that computer so it'd probably let you do
    that...worth a try atleast.

    You didn't say what type of cards you have now (smartmedia, CF, etc),
    if you are getting a dSLR in the near future almost everyone of them
    uses CF cards, so if your camera does now too (good chance of that) you
    would not be wasting your money on a new card. Memory cards are not
    expensive, a slower (all you would need with your current camera) 1-gig
    card is around $70 online or less, with me it would make
    more sense to get that than to mess around with going to libraries,
    maybe paying for time on computers or having prints made, if in another
    city, taking taxis around, could blow far more than $70 with
    all the hassles of having too small of memory card...

    Good Luck...
    fj40rockcrawler, Jun 25, 2005
  9. jbert

    Ron Hunter Guest

    They are also, mostly, USB drives, which in your scenario (disabled
    USB), would be as useless as the Jumpdrive.
    A better answer is that the Jumpdrive should work just fine if USB ports
    are available on the library machines.
    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2005
  10. jbert

    Marvin Guest

    Most US public libraries offer some level of computer service, but there is a great deal
    of variability. An alternative is to take your cards to a camera shop that can copy the
    files to a CD.
    Marvin, Jun 25, 2005
  11. jbert

    jbert Guest

    Thanks for the responses.

    The help I really need is beyond this group. Last year I took my lap top
    along and down loaded the 4 - 32m and 1 64m smart media cards 3 times
    from the c700. That's 576m. I also had a Sony T1 with 2 - 256m pro
    memory stick duo and I down loaded 1. Since I am flying this year, I do
    not want to bring along the lap top. The problem is in addition to these
    two cameras and a camcorder, I also had a 35m slr that I took 10 rolls
    of slides, an olympus epic that I took 10 rolls of prints (as you can
    see I am still not committed to digital 100%) and an unfinished
    disposable camera for a total of 7 cameras. (I did relent an leave a
    second 35m slr home.)

    That's why I want to convert to a digital slr, that will probably not
    use smart media or be a sony, so I can consolidate the cameras I drag
    along. However, there is not enough time this year to practice on a new
    camera before I leave so I will be doing the same, less the disposable one.

    jbert, Jun 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.