    Anyone know why taking the phone off-hook would cause an improvement?
    I could sort of understand if it was the opposite i.e. if using the phone
    caused the problem.

    John Martin, Mar 23, 2010

  2. John Martin

    Paul Herber Guest

    An on-hook phone puts a load across the line, a resistance via the hook switch, off hook
    removes this load.
    Ensure you have a broadband filter between this phone and the phone socket.

    Paul Herber, Mar 23, 2010

  3. John Martin

    Bernard Peek Guest

    I would guess that your phone is generating noise on the line. It's even
    possible that you moved a cable when using the phone, and disturbed a
    noisy connection. Try using a different phone/cable/microfilter.

    I've just fixed a similar problem here with the help of the Zen Internet
    help-desk. I had lots of noise on the line and frequent disconnects. The
    problem turned out to be a duff faceplate on the master socket, I'm now
    using the test-socket instead.

    Note that the subscriber is responsible for faults in the faceplate even
    though it is provided by the phone company. That little tip from Zen
    just saved me nearly £120. the charge for calling out a BT engineer.

    Bernard Peek, Mar 23, 2010