    Same server, one minute apart.

    No plonks or killfile.

    ???

    henry, Jul 6, 2003

  2. henry

    Michael Guest

    In
    That's just the way OE "works".

    Talk to

    I'm already complaining about this, as it's been plaguing me for years.

    The more people who bitch about it, the more likely it will be that those
    people will listen.

    Hell, they might even *do* something about it.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 6, 2003

  3. henry

    Richard Guest

    OE samples headers. It tries to give the most current ones the edge over the
    rest.
    Increase your number of headers to download to 1,000.
    Then click on the "headers" icon a few times to help insure acquiring the
    latest posts.
    If you'd like to trick OE into downloading more than the 1,000, you'll need
    to open the registry.
    Search for "download at a time".
    Right click on the value and select "modify", select decimal and enter any
    number you want.
    Or in tools/option/read. you can uncheck "get next [n] headers" and let it
    download the entire group.

    Richard, Jul 6, 2003
  4. henry

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Richard said:
    OE doesn't need to be tricked, you tosspot, just remove the tick in the box left
    of the word "Get" and all headers will be downloaded.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 7, 2003
  5. Do something, you say.

    Snigger.
    Snicker.
    Guffaw.
    Laugh out loud.
    Roll on the floor helpless while I piss my pants.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 7, 2003
  6. henry

    Michael Guest

    In
    In fact, that's what I had in mind for the Microsoft folks.

    Have you used it all up, or is there some left that they can play with? :)

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 7, 2003
  7. henry

    Richard Guest

    As I said, OE is a sampler.
    To prove it, go into view>current view> uncheck group messages by
    conversation.
    This will show messages the same way google or newsguy does, latest post on
    top.
    Tools>options>read tab. Uncheck "Get next headers".
    Right click on 24hrshd. Select properties and click "reset" then "compact".
    This removes the current cache file.
    Now enter the group and let it download ALL the files entirely.
    Check the list against newsguy listing on the website, I'll bet they match.

    Open your registry navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{ extra long clsid
    umber }\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\News
    Find the value "Download at a time", right click, select modify.
    tic "decimal" and enter any high number you like, such as 5,000.
    close out OE and open for the change to take effect.
    Click tools menu and notice the change from your previous setting to
    "5,000".

    Your "problem" is not a problem with OE, it is a problem of the user
    understanding how OE works.

    Richard, Jul 8, 2003
  8. henry

    Brian H¹© Guest

    I was commenting on your nonsense comment about tricking OE.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 8, 2003