    I was looking for a new video card. However, there is an (OEM) abbreviation
    on that video card at the site. Anyone know what OEM stands for?

    Thanks

    Richard, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Richard

    Ghost Guest

    Originally Equipped by the Manufacturer.. In other words, it is not a
    retail box- meaning it may not have a pretty box, a manual, etc. It
    usually will have drivers, but OEM devices do not always include a driver
    disk.

    Ghost, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Richard

    Techie Guest

    OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer

    Techie, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Thank You ghost.

    Richard, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Richard

    Michael Guest

    No, OEM devices are fully supported by the manufacturers. Unless the
    product is Windows :wink: - in this case the support is given by the
    seller.

    M.
    ==============

    Michael, Sep 15, 2003
  6. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (and I'm amazed at some of the
    "close but wrong" guesses for this).

    The card was not a retail version; it was made to be supplied directly
    to one or more PC manufacturers for inclusion as part of their PCs in
    the PC factory, it was not made for retail sale.

    The card may be the same as a retail model or it may be different and
    custom, for example some Gateway ATI OEM cards were identical to the
    retail cards except that they used SDRAM video memory instead of DDR in
    the retail version of the same card. An OEM card may require special
    drivers, or it may work with either the retail drivers or the
    "reference" drivers. An OEM card may not come with the "standard"
    accessories, whatever they were.

    There can be some risk in buying an OEM item, unless you have more
    information about how "generic" it is and whether it can use the
    standard drivers.

    Also, often, the video card manufacturer won't service it if it fails.
    For example, if you buy an ATI retail card, it has a 3-year or 5-year
    warranty. But if you get an ATI video card made as a Dell OEM component
    -- which MIGHT be the exact same card, physically -- ATI won't service
    it, they will tell you to return it to Dell. And they will know,
    because although the card may be identical, the serial number and part
    number will identify it (to ATI) as a Dell OEM part.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2003
  7. Re: "No, OEM devices are fully supported by the manufacturers. Unless
    the product is Windows :wink: - in this case the support is given by
    the seller."

    That is definitely not always the case. I've had both video cards and
    disk drives that the manufacturers (ATI, Maxtor and Quantum) would not
    service. I was told to send it back to the OEM (Dell, Gateway and HP)
    for service.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Richard

    Yotta Guest

    Richard,

    IMO, OEM is where it's at. A pretty good $$$ deal can usually be
    found when purchasing items OEM. Sure, you don't get a pretty box to
    decorate your trash can, but I think you'll survive.

    In the case of your video card, the only real issues are documentation
    and drivers. But, it has been my experience that both can be found on
    the hardware manufacturer's website. To be sure that you won't get
    left high and dry, verify that you'll be able to find both drivers and
    documentation before you purchase the card.

    Yotta, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Richard

    techshare Guest

    You are exactly WRONG. OEM devices are NOT supported in any way by the
    manufacturer. This is the entire point of an OEM device. It is designed to
    be sold cheaply to computer integrators. The devices are cheaper for reasons
    including (but not limited to):

    - Complete lack of support from manufacturer (usually the manufacturer
    assigns special serial numbers to OEM devices ... you give them one of those
    numbers ... and meet Mr. Dialtone)
    - They may be specially made for only a certain large computer integrator
    (e.g. a "Dell" power supply)
    - Certain OEM items may be sold without drivers or documentation. Usually
    this is because the manufacturer assumes the computer integrator will get
    these elsewhere.

    IMO, one of the worst facts about OEM devices is that they are sold in
    computer systems all the time by small computer shops that either can't or
    won't support them. Then, the customer has some silly false ideas about
    these devices (like you) and expects someone else to magically have all the
    means to support such devices.

    OEM in short means YOU are on YOUR own ... unless someone else has agreed to
    help you.

    techshare, Sep 17, 2003
  10. Richard

    Guest Guest

    I was always under the impression that OEM items are the same as the
    boxed version, but without the box and manuels which typically are a
    waste.

    A word from wise always research what you are buying, sometimes
    cheaper is not always better.

    Example:

    I bought some Dlink OEM nics with no install cd, but I downloaded the
    drivers from the website. i wanted to install the nic in a Win98
    machine which I was rebuilding. Needless to say after much
    frustration i was unable to get the nic to work with Win98. But I will
    try it in another machine.

    Gary

    Guest, Sep 17, 2003
  11. It's not possible to generalize either about support or about whether
    the OEM and retail products are physically the same.

    Some mfgrs. will directly support their OEM products, others (probably
    most) will not.

    Some OEM products are physically identical to the retail versions, some
    are different in some ways.

    It has to be approached on a case-by-case basis.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Richard

    techshare Guest

    Why do you want to attack me and spread nonsense in this group?!

    Put your money where your mouth is and post links to two "identical"
    products. One OEM, and one boxed. There is no way they would have the same
    warranty and support ... else they wouldn't be OEM now would they?

    Why would a manufacturer sell the same product for less as "OEM" ... and
    not provide something less in return? Prove your nonsense, or shut up and go
    back to business school. If this is still too complicated for you to
    understand ... here is a link to an OEM hard drive. Unlike you, I can simply
    provide a link to back up my simple and correct explanation.

    http://www.compu-terra.com/spec.cgi?HDMXT8054+pw

    "Since "generic" or "white" label prevents the end-user
    from contacting the manufacturer for the warranty,
    we as a seller honor internal 1-year warranty. "

    ImhoTech, Remind us all again NOT to buy any OEM products from you!

    techshare, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Richard

    jonny bravo Guest

    FAQ: What Is The Definition of OEM?
    It's important to have a full understanding of the definition for the term
    "OEM". Often a computer hardware component is identified as being OEM. OEM
    stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Semiconductor manufacturers have
    two ways of distributing their products. Retail being the one you're no
    doubt the most familiar with, and OEM.

    If the component is OEM then it means the component is intended to be sold
    as part of a complete system instead of as an individual component. OEM
    components provide the manufacturer with the most revenue plus a more secure
    revenue stream. This is because the OEMs, who are the ones buying the
    component, must do so under a contract. The contract guarantees that the OEM
    will make large monthly purchases of the component for a number of months.
    In return, the the manufacturers provide much better volume pricing to the
    OEMs.

    Since OEMs agree in advance "how many" of a component they will buy and
    "when" they will buy it, it's often the case that they end up with either
    too many or too few of a particular component needed in the complete systems
    they are selling. This difference is handled in the "gray market".

    It's become standard practice for the OEM to agree to a contract knowing
    they will end up with more product than they can use. The extra product is
    sold at cost to brokers. The brokers in turn sell smaller quantities for a
    mark-up to resellers at the retail level. The OEM product is typically
    cheaper and has a shorter warranty, often 30 days, and the warranty is
    through the reseller, not the manufacturer as is the case with retail
    products.

    The brokers are nameless, faceless folks, at least as far as you and I are
    concerned. It's possible a broker could pull a fast one on a particular
    component being sold to the reseller and the reseller would unknowingly pass
    on the product to you, the customer. But no trustworthy reseller would
    tolerate this kind of deception since it's the reseller who will have to
    deal with the returns and angry customers, and it's the reseller whose
    reputation will suffer. That's why it's important to deal with a reseller
    that prizes his reputation.

    jonny bravo, Sep 18, 2003
  14. Richard

    techshare Guest

    Don't get pissed because you don't know WTF you are talking about. You
    couldn't even quote but the first line of my message ... because it was 100%
    correct.

    techshare, Sep 18, 2003