    £15 more expensive)
    Thanks,
    John

    OrmesbyJohn, Feb 17, 2004

  2. OrmesbyJohn

    al dente Guest

    OrmesbyJohn wrote:
    | Just ordered an OEM Western Digital Hard drive.
    | What's the difference between that and the retail version (retail
    | version is £15 more expensive)
    | Thanks,
    | John

    A shiny box and an A6 pamphlet.
    Possibly a diskette or CD with some useless software on it that you can just
    as easily download for free.

    --
    Gazwad

    Freelance scientist and people tester.
    Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
    Moderator: alt.warez.uk

    al dente, Feb 17, 2004

  3. OrmesbyJohn

    SgtMinor Guest

    Sometimes the OEM item is a stripped down version of the same item sold
    at retail. Sometimes the warranty period is shorter, like 3 months on
    an OEM drive, against 12 months for the retail item. How long is the
    warranty period for your WD drive?

    SgtMinor, Feb 17, 2004
  4. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    How do you mean - stripped down version?
    Not sure what the warranty period is - I should have asked - I will ask.
    -------------------------

    OrmesbyJohn, Feb 17, 2004
  5. OrmesbyJohn

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Feb 17, 2004
  6. OrmesbyJohn

    TT Guest

    There is OEM hardware and OEM software. The warranties on OEM software
    is usually serviced by the company that installed it(or you purchased it
    from) instead of the actual publisher, at least in my experience...

    TT, Feb 17, 2004
  7. OrmesbyJohn

    Mellowed Guest

    Many times the OEM version will not have any documentation or
    installation disk/information. You will just get the HD. I ordered a
    HD online and that is just what I received. Only the HD. Fortunately I
    knew how to FDISK and format the drive without any documentation.

    : Just ordered an OEM Western Digital Hard drive.
    : What's the difference between that and the retail version (retail
    version is
    : £15 more expensive)
    : Thanks,
    : John