Odd problem with Netgear 802.11b router and D-Link PCI card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Evan Stone, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Evan Stone

    Evan Stone Guest

    I'm experiencing a rather odd problem with my older Netgear 802.11b router
    and a new D-Link 802.11g/b PCI card that I just purchased for a new computer
    last week...

    I currently have a B router that I've been using for over a year now with
    two laptops: a powerbook g3 with an Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card and a Dell
    laptop with a D-Link DWL-650+ PCMCIA card (both are 802.11b cards). Both
    have been working flawlessly, and I recently purchased a D-Link DWL-G510
    AirPlus G High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless PCI Adapter for my new
    desktop machine, which is exhibiting some strange behavior...

    It recognizes my router and I can connect just fine. It will even work
    properly for a while. However, after I've used it for anywhere from 0-15
    minutes, it's like it loses it's mind and can't locate any sites. The odd
    thing is that rebooting the system with the new card does not fix the
    problem, but unplugging the router then plugging it back in seems to fix it
    (once again, just for a little while, then it goes back to the mode where it
    can't locate sites anymore).

    I was wondering if this was a problem from the G card connecting to the B
    router, but I'm not entirely sure. As added information, the laptop cards
    still work just fine when the desktop machine is having it's problems, so it
    seems like it's not the router's problem.

    I was wondering if this sounded familiar to anyone here, and if so, how did
    you (or would you) go about fixing the problem?

    Thanks!

    evan stone | petaluma, ca, usa

    Evan Stone, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Assuming everything is set on auto detect for speed and that there is
    nothing interfering with the network anywhere else, it sounds more like a
    driver issue to me. I would have it attached and while it is working
    uninstall the driver entirely. Reboot and then come back in and install it
    all over again.

    Should that fail, check out any driver updates at D-Link which may answer
    the question.

    I would normally have said to go to the System Properties then the
    properties of the NIC itself and turn off power saving mode but 15 minutes
    seems entirely too short a time.

    The only other thing I know that causes this sort of thing is Zone Alarm
    (free and pro) which have "Automatic Lock" which only supposedly activates
    when you haven't touched the machine for a certain time. In reality it even
    activates when the machine is off. If you have ZA free or pro, set Automatic
    Lock to 999 minutes then turn it off. It is the only way to stop that
    happening. It MAY be the answer but I still go for the driver. If Automatic
    Lock comes on, it cuts you off from everything and you can easily check
    this. If you use ZA and you are now cut off as you detailed before, shut ZA
    down and it should come back online in a minute or two.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Evan Stone

    Evan Stone Guest

    I don't have Zone Alarm, so that's probably not it. I'll check the D-Link
    site for new drivers.

    Can an incompatible frequency setting also be at fault? I'm not sure what
    frequency my router is set at, but my PCI card is at 2.4GHz.

    I set the PCI card to 802.11b only through the D-Link admin utility, and
    thought that solved it, but I was mistaken. In fact, after I switched it it
    seemed to cause problems with the other cards. I don't know if it caused the
    router to gag or what, but I had to shut down the desktop and power down/up
    the router.

    Still searching for a solution...

    Thanks!

    Evan Stone, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Evan Stone

    Evan Stone Guest

    Just to add some information here, my Netgear router is the MR314, and my
    wireless PCI card is the D-Link DWL-G510
    AirPlus G High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11b/g) Wireless PCI Adapter. In case anyone
    knows of potential conflicts between these models.

    Thanks!

    Evan Stone, Oct 20, 2005