ODD: Go ahead and laugh at me now, however...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 23, 2004.

  1. However I had somewhat of a strange two days yesterday and today:

    Yesterday was the day that David Bowie came to town, for the first time in
    fourteen years old.
    Being only twenty three, I had not had the chance to see David Bowie before,
    so I snapped up tickets when they went on sale, and managed to be on the
    floor level, in row eighteen.

    It was a strange experience. Firstly, I am a huge Bowie fan. Think of your
    "all time favorite" actress, singer, performer, politician (snicker), and
    what it was like when you first saw them live, and this is what it was like
    for me.
    Something though, was different.
    I had a hard time enjoying myself. Something was different, and I realized
    what it was.

    For some reason, I could not get past the fact that I was not taking photos
    of the show. Sounds silly perhaps, however I felt as though I was supposed
    to be taking the shots. It was like a switch had been thrown, and after 75,
    000 photos in the past five years, I was finally in agreement with the
    nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I need to take photography
    seriously, and that I need to go to school, get myself a serious dSLR camera
    in time, and take it seriously, because I take good shots now, and in time
    could take great shots.

    I thought after the show, that I would email a local photographer who does
    mainly nature sets, and gets a two page spread in the Sunday paper.

    Today I grabbed my camera, went down to an indoor Devonian gardens downtown,
    and saw the exact same photographer I was meaning to contact.
    I got the nerve to talk to him. He was carrying two cameras, a Canon 10D
    with a 100-600mm canon IS lens (drool), as well as a canon 1Ds.
    I asked him if I could email him and have him look at some of my work, and
    he said "sure" and gave me his email address.. Granted this is not a big
    deal (it is published with his layouts), it was something, right?

    Anyhow, it was a strange two days. I have confidence issues with my work,
    but I know ultimately it is not bad at all, and borders on "decent" (I hate
    to say "good", because everyone thinks that they are good), and it seems
    more and more as though I should go to school, I should shoot for this, and
    what exactly is stopping me lol.

    See, told you it is odd. you can laugh if you want.
    I wont post my url here, this is not some elaborate spam message for my
    site... So I wont post it here.

    Thanks for reading.
    Steve.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Jan 23, 2004

  2. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"
    I kinda doubt that.
    The lens you saw was the 100-400 IS.

    Annika1980, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Rick Guest

    (double drool)
    Fortunately the digital realm is closing the gap between pro
    and prosumer very quickly. Getting great, saleable shots is
    as much a matter of creativity in subject and framing than
    technique nowadays.
    Nothing odd or laughable in your post. Now here is
    something many will find laughable: smoke some weed,
    open your mind, get some great images and get rich doing
    what you love to do. Follow your bliss.

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 23, 2004