Odd continuous activity from my computer ??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Loony, Jun 26, 2012.

  1. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Odd continuous activity from my computer ??

    I have noticed many times that my computer is showing continuous
    activity when I am not using it. This happens even when my Internet
    connection is blocked for hours.

    What could that be?

    The Windows Task Manager shows that :

    dwm.exe, taskmgr.exe, UIOdetect.exe, sidebar.exe

    are the most active.

    The CPU for these varies from about 02 to 05.

    TIA

    Loony, Jun 26, 2012

  2. Loony

    Paul Guest

    The nerdy talk here, says that UI0detect.exe will appear, when
    a task launched in one "session", tries to display dialog boxes.
    So there may be a message waiting for you on the computer... somewhere.
    The program name consists of "UI" for User Interface, and the zero
    next to it for "Session 0".

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/ar...s-detection-and-why-is-it-blinking-at-me.aspx

    DWM (desktop window manager), has something to do with displaying
    3D decorations, and perhaps something to do with Aero.

    It's possible something you can't see, some cruftware you've loaded
    on the computer, is "kicking the ass" of these other things, and
    that's why they're eating cycles. These things may not be doing
    this, entirely on their own.

    Maybe if you can find the dialog boxes that have popped up
    somewhere, there will be a hint from the guilty party. Since
    the dialog boxes belong to the wrong session, they're not
    allowed to just pop up on the regular desktop.

    Try the test case in the blog article above - this command:

    psexec \\localhost -i 0 calc.exe

    and see what happens. UI0 should flash. And perhaps you'll
    get to see the calculator, in its own kinda window.

    Keep searching,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2012

  3. Loony

    - Bobb - Guest

    Define " continuous activity ". DO you mean CPU at 100% ? Or do you mean
    disk activity light blinking ? Or you just watch task manager and see
    'things happening' ? If the last one: A computer never 'does nothing'. It
    always running, 'listening' to see if anything 'needs to be done right now',
    or a process that wants attention. Whether a million dollar machine or a
    $200 machine, the CPU is always ' on guard in case something needs to be
    done'. It has to be READY whenever called upon. You can turn on power saver
    if you'd like it to sleep when idle.

    I used to work on big computers and in the old days, when the cpu WAS NOT
    busy ' doing something' it would blink the lights - in sequence, left to
    right, right to left, however you liked it , as a visual indication to let
    you know " I'm idle right now so I'll rotate the lights until I'm
    interrupted". And that was a program it ran ... blink light #1, then #2,
    then #3 etc
    Over time it was a waste of electricity so now it 'appears' to be doing
    nothing while it twiddles its proverbial thumbs just waiting for something
    to do.

    - Bobb -, Jun 29, 2012
  4. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Very interesting Bobb.

    My box very often spends a long time blinking away. I thought that data
    might be coming to my computer from the Internet, so I shut down the
    modem. However, the blinking often continued for an hour or more.
    The CPU runs only from 0 to about 10%.

    I would guess that starting and shutting down often would wear down the
    machine. I'll look into that power saver.

    Thanks for the info.

    Loony, Jun 29, 2012
  5. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Thanks Paul for that information.

    Here is what I had:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Users\jvalh>psexec \\localhost -i 0 calc.exe
    'psexec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    C:\Users\jvalh>

    Not much success here, but thanks for your suggestion.

    Loony, Jun 29, 2012
  6. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Jun 30, 2012
  7. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Thanks once more Paul,

    That article is very interesting but, unfortunately, I have too many
    other pressing problems that need my attention. If I get some time later
    on I'll try to sort out that tricky situation.

    Loony, Jun 30, 2012