ODBC or ADO Connection String

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MadMike42, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. MadMike42

    MadMike42 Guest

    Hi,
    I'm trying to find a comparison chart for comparing
    the data access speeds for using VB6 with a SQL 2000
    System ODBC link (DSN) or using a direct ADO connection string (OLE DB)
    link.
    (this is for read / write data)
    I've found one chart on 4guysfromrolla but it only gives
    one example which is shown below, but im looking for
    some more examples.
    Any idea's ?
    Thanks
    Mike.

    Performance Comparison
    SQL Access
    OLEDB DSN OLEDB DSN
    Connection Times: 18 82 Connection Times: 62 99
    Iterating through 1,000 Records Times: 2900 5400 Iterating through
    1,000 Records Times: 100 950

    MadMike42, Feb 23, 2006

  2. MadMike42

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    Try the database / odbc newsgroups. Maybe even the MSDN site , OTOH
    write your own test / timer routine.

    Me

    why?, Feb 23, 2006

  3. I always found a direct ado connection string gave me less agrovation than a
    dsn in a web context using asp. Not sure which is faster but I imagine there
    is only a naggers cock worth of difference. Writing in VB6 (or VB for that
    matter) is never going to be the fastest in terms of performance (as it
    relies on the VB runtime library) so I would not split hairs. I would go
    with what gave reliable and steady performance myself, but we are all
    different. DSN is just something else you have to set up and define
    elsewhere whereas you can hard code an ADO connection string without
    worrying of getting a DSN set up. (although it's not difficult).

    Flunkett Clogwheel, Feb 23, 2006
  4. MadMike42

    MadMike42 Guest

    thanks for the comments.