NZ Woman Caught Recording Anti-Piracy Commercial

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Jan 13, 2007.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    A new take on things.
    Not sure how true this is as the Stuff link in this article is dead..

    http://torrentfreak.com/woman-caught-recording-anti-piracy-commercial/

    A New Zealand woman was busted recording an anti-piracy commercial
    that was playing ahead of the popular Disney movie “Cars”.

    Staff members of the movie theatre caught the woman, who was sitting
    there with her family, and confiscated her camcorder.

    If the woman is convicted for copyright theft, she could face up to
    five years in prison, or a fine between 6000 and 90.000 USD.

    However, the staff of the cinema in question may have responded a
    little too adequate (early), it might be hard to get someone in jail
    for recording an anti-piracy commercial.

    Mutley, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Mutley

    Philip Guest

    There is an 'underground' movement opposed to the current draconian
    copyright laws that make copying a movie more serious than killing
    someone (and look at the copyright law horror being imposed on us in NZ
    in the next few mponths by Judith Tizard with both major parties well in
    tow). Opponents in the US seek to poke fun at the big studios by
    copying, and re-publishing, the anti-'piracy' trailers they show in
    movie houses.

    In some US States of the USA you can go to jail for even having a video
    camera in a movie theatre, and on conviction you can be be sentenced to
    longer than you'd get here for dropping a concrete block on an innocent
    man on the motorway.

    Truly we live in strange times.

    Philip

    Philip, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Mutley

    Kent Smith Guest

    I've always thought it would be good to spoof that commercial:

    "You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first. You wouldn't buy a
    television that could not be repaired. You wouldn't buy a handbag that you
    can only use at home, you wouldn't buy a mobile phone that you couldn't take
    back if it was crap, etc" :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Mutley

    Damos Guest

    The only time I have every recorded something in a movie theatre was the
    antipiracy
    trailer. Used my sony clie palm at 0.3Mb.

    Was immediately followed by about 20 ppl doing the same with their
    camera's built into the cellphones.......

    Subsequently wondered what I would have done if they had caught me and
    decided to prosecute....

    D.

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.

    Damos, Jan 14, 2007
  5. Mutley

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jan 14, 2007
  6. Mutley

    Scooter Guest

    It is incredibly simple Crookes, a company has spent over
    $100,000,000 developing a movie from the time of inception to
    showing at the theatre.
    Is it wrong of them to expect to to recoup their money?

    Scooter, Jan 28, 2007
  7. How does this arrest help them recoup their money?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2007
  8. Mutley

    Scooter Guest

    It serves as an example to other people that crime doesn't pay.

    Scooter, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2007
  10. Mutley

    Scooter Guest

    Scooter, Jan 29, 2007
  11. From the evidence presented so far: zero.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 29, 2007
  12. Mutley

    Philip Guest

    1. It isn't theft. It's copyright infringement, arguably, depending on
    the jurisdiction, only at the time to the tape is sold to another. Theft
    is taking away with intent to deprive the owner of the asset.

    2. The volume of sales of ripped off in-cinema copies of movies is
    small, because the sound is lousy and the picture poor. I think anyone
    so dim as to look at a movie recorded like that probably deserves
    anything that happens to them.

    3. The item reported wasn't about recording a movie. It was about
    recording a movie company threat against people recording movies, as
    part of a campaign by people who are increasingly pissed off with being
    treated like criminals by content companies.

    4. Most copyright infringement of movies comes from largescale ripping
    of DVDs. That is illegal and rightly carries penalties under our present
    and proposed future copyright laws.

    5. Much individual DVD ripping is self inflicted by the movie companies
    bcause they have so weighed down their products with useless 'copy
    protection', 'region codes', uninterruptable threats shouted at people
    who already paid fpor the movie, and other form of attempted
    interference with the legitimate viewer's enjoyment that people find it
    easier just to bypass the whole bullshit.

    Philip

    Philip, Jan 29, 2007
  13. Mutley

    Scooter Guest

    If you honestly believe that then you are even more moronic than
    I had considered you to be.

    Scooter, Jan 29, 2007
  14. Go on, then. Back up your claim with some evidence of the deterrent value of
    lawsuits such as reported here
    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061219/121441.shtml> and here
    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20060713/1443212.shtml>.

    Here <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060613/0148200.shtml> is a specific
    report that none of these lawsuits has done anything to reduce copyright
    infringement.

    Your move, creep.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 30, 2007