NZ Linux users engage in Govt-MS bashing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alex Axolotl, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. It seems like Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:43:24 GMT was when
    (Matthew Poole) said Blah blah blah...
    I suppose getting a company's mailing list maybe harder.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 14, 2004

  2. I didn't think it used RPC.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 14, 2004

  3. I didn't think it used RPC.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Alex Axolotl

    Adder Guest

    15 Dec 2004 00:05:19 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <[email protected]
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    winbind, part of the samba suite, uses reverse engineered rpc calls

    Adder, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    It uses the MS flavour rather than the Unix flavour (is that DCE? I
    forget), hence the 'doesn't really count' comment :)

    You can also manage a Samba domain with the NT4 management tools
    (User Manager etc) which also use RPC.

    Or at least thats how I understand it.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 14, 2004
  8. That depends entirely upon the nous of the company. If they haven't
    mastered the foo of BCC:, then getting their mailing list is generally
    no more difficult than signing up for it yourself. Or being forwarded
    an e-mail from someone on the list.
    Don't underestimate the number of people who still use straight CC: to
    send e-mail to dozens of people, many of whom would be mortified to
    learn that certain other people have seen the same thing.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Agreed. Always complain if that happens ... and tell them why it's not
    a good idea.

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 14, 2004
  11. Agreed. Always complain if that happens ... and tell them why it's not
    a good idea.

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 14, 2004