NZ ISPs - Are there different 'layers' or 'levels'?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I am interested in understanding the structure of the NZ ISP industry.

    Am I correct in assuming that there are different 'layers' of ISPs?

    For example, perhaps the following (the examples are just made up!):

    Internet Backbone Connected:

    - Telecom
    - Telstra Clear
    - Vodafone

    Connected via Telecom:

    - Xtra
    - Orcon
    - IHug
    - Telecom Fibre Customers

    Connected via Xtra:

    - Slingshot
    - ProvincialTownISP

    Such that, a customer who has a DSL line with Slingshot is actually
    getting a 're-sold' Xtra connection that in turn connects to the wider
    world via Telecom.

    Whereas a customer who buys a fibre connection from Telstra Clear
    joins the internet backbone at the same 'level' as Xtra or IHug
    themselves and effectively one 'level' up from an Xtra DSL customer.

    Or is it totally different to that?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Alan

    Tony Guest

    http://www.ispmap.co.nz/

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007

  3. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Tony typed:
    Thanks for that, really interesting once you work it out. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2007