    otherwise-unused CPU cycles. I've put my Core 2 Duo on SETI and gone up from
    14th place to 5th place in the team in less than a month.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 3, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    thingy Guest

    think of the energy wasted.............clean and green and all that.....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Dec 3, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb thingy typed:
    There's actually not that much energy "wasted". I bought one of these a
    while back when they were on "special":

    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

    (Or go to jaycar.co.nz and search MS6115)

    The difference between the PC just running Azureus and running SETI is just
    a few watts.

    It turns out that I can run SETI with the power I save from swapping *one*
    incandescant lightbulb for a CFL. As I only have two incandescants in the
    whole house (in places where they're only turned on momentarilly, spare room
    and toilet) I figure I can run SETI using a small part of the energy I'm
    saving on lighting.

    Anyway, when we find the aliens they'll tell us how to sort out this mess
    we've made. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    I run Folding. I would rather help Humans with a project that actually is
    useful in the real world we live in today!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=12519

    Dave Taylor, Dec 4, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    Peter H. Guest

    With all due respect, you climbed so rapidly because really only two
    members have crunched any units in the last 12 months.

    I am impressed by your number of recent completed units though.

    Peter H., Dec 4, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Peter H. typed:
    Hehee! I know. I also remember your gigantic contribution to SETI in the
    "classic" days.
    Yeah, thanks, and that's with me not running SETI for over a week in the
    last month. This CPU really cranks them out. (I did maybe five units with a
    Celeron 420, OCed to 2.13GHz I have here, then decided that it wasn't worth
    the cost in electricity leaving it on). As /this/ machine is on 24/7 I
    figured that, for the relatively small increase in running cost, I might as
    well run SETI on it. The cooling's good, SETI runs both cores at about case
    temp plus 18°C or so. With a 25cm fan built into the side of the case,
    (iCute S901,
    http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/56FC71DAD9E5C67BCC2571ED000C70D2 )
    case temp isn't far off room temp.

    My current computer churns out roughly 7x the units my Barton did per day.
    When you consider I started SETI with a 486 that took nigh-on three days to
    do a (classic) WU and the Barton did a classic in 2 hours (or slightly less)
    you can really see how far home computing has come. What took three days
    with my first PC I can now do in 17 minutes.

    Cheers,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    Murray Symon Guest

    Hey, maybe they'll be just like us and no help at all (or worse?).
    You might just pick up one of their broadcast reality shows or a re-run
    of one of their cheesey sitcoms.

    Murray Symon, Dec 4, 2007
  8. Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 4, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Dave Taylor typed:
    It's good that there are different distributed computing programmes out
    there so anyone can pick whichever they want without having to deride
    someone else's choice.

    So, do tell, what has Folding done for us? You say "actually useful in the
    real world we live in *today*" (my emphasis). What benefit are people
    reaping today? How do you "help Humans"? (other than the project organisers)

    Also, is there a clause somewhere from Standford that says, if a
    breakthrough is made that reaps billions of dollars, that they'll share it
    with you? Or that your family will be first on the list to benefit if they
    have a disease that this project finds a cure for? That little question is
    the reason I don't "donate" my CPU cycles to anything that has the potential
    to make people stinking rich. Especially when they're based in the US.

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2007
  10. Hmm.. OK, after not being involved for ages.. I am still 12th..

    I'm back in.. and should shortly jump up the list.. Unless others join
    me :)

    Daniel

    Daniel Parker, Dec 4, 2007
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Daniel Parker typed:
    Cool. What machine are you using? I'm curious how different CPUs stack up
    these days and am noting the SETI benchmarks for any that I can get data on.
    <hint> :)

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2007
  12. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Did any of you read the web site before pooh poohing it?
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers
    Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?

    Unlike other distributed computing projects, [email protected] is run by an
    academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford
    University's - Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution
    dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or
    make any money off of it.

    Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular,
    the results from [email protected] will be made available on several levels.
    Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to
    scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be
    posted on the web page after publication. Next, after publication of these
    scientific articles that analyze the data, the raw data of the folding runs
    will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on this
    web site.

    Dave Taylor, Dec 5, 2007
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Dave Taylor typed:
    Several years ago when they first started up, yes.
    "off of it"? It's obvious it's not the English department. ;-)
    That's all new since I read it. I guess others had qualms about what was
    going to become of their CPU cycles, prompting Folding to come up with that
    statement. I wonder how many 'partners' or how much funding they gave up to
    be able to make that statement?

    Good on 'em. Good on ya. I'll stick to looking for signs of
    extra-terrestrial life with my CPU.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2007
  14. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Better to do SETI than DU IMHO. DU the IBM thing is a complete corporate
    sham IMHO, of course. I used to do Distributed, I think it was D4 then D5;
    anyways I have been doing this for bloody ages! United Devices was one of
    the first big corporate in the scene, once it went out of underground.
    I ran it for a while, read about it, and went to Folding. I like SETI,
    but I personally feel that my CPU goes to better use when running folding
    over any other distributed project.

    Dave Taylor, Dec 5, 2007
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Dave Taylor typed:
    Yeah, fair enough. I seriously considered Folding, and the climate one, in
    fact I looked at a few, then decided I'd stick with SETI. I tried to find
    one that would pay me (I mean, I *have* got a damn powerful computer with
    90% of it's CPU cycles available 24/7) but didn't find anything that looked
    too promising. W&I would probably take it out of my invalid's benefit if I
    found one that paid anyway. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2007
  16. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bummer, anyways, I heard of one that if you have bandwidth and a grunty
    CPU, they pay you.
    I think it might have been a scam, but you never know.
    It was linked to off of some list of distrubeted computing list of lists
    kinda thing.
    It was a google hit.
    I thihnk the deal was that your bandwidth was used to test others, like a
    speed test thing and reliability

    Dave Taylor, Dec 6, 2007