NY Times reports on a new "Brazen Attempts by Hotels to BlockWi-Fi"

Discussion in 'Wireless Internet' started by Whitney Ryan, Jan 8, 2015.

  1. Whitney Ryan

    Whitney Ryan Guest

    Whitney Ryan, Jan 8, 2015

  2. Too bad people don't check into a few of these sites and then report the
    interference to the FCC's complaint line.

    Movie theaters get sued by the Feds for blocking cell phone access so
    why not hotels.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jan 9, 2015

  3. Whitney Ryan

    Guest Guest

    because movie theaters use active jammers which are illegal and hotels
    are using a 'feature' of wifi which is technically legal, although it's
    being used for questionable reasons (it's not 'security').

    Guest, Jan 9, 2015
  4. True about the jammers nospam. Been there and used to own one that fit
    into my pocket. Still, it was fun while I had it...

    I would not want the Feds to do anything that might stop a mini-monopoly
    or blackmail scheme from getting started. (We are holding the internet
    hostage, pay our demands or hit the street)

    Wonder how long until the Hotel owners find a way to add a surcharge or
    "tax" to the bill for this "feature", since the hotel now has to work
    harder to piss off the customers.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jan 9, 2015
  5. Whitney Ryan

    Whitney Ryan Guest

    nospam wrote, on Fri, 09 Jan 2015 13:04:31 -0500:
    I asked a friend who works at Google HOW they do it it, and
    he said that the "jamming" hardware acts just like the WiFi SSID
    that you are connecting to, but then their "jammer" sends what he
    called a "deauthentication" packet.

    He said it simply tells your equipment to disconnect.

    The way he explained it (if I understood it correctly) was that
    Google impersonates any WiFi SSID it finds that is not theirs,
    and Google constantly sends those 'disconnect' commands as that
    SSID. This stops you from connecting to any SSID that they see.

    He said that they have to have equipment in the ceiling everywhere
    in order to be close enough to detect your SSID though, and he
    said he once walked all around the place to find one, with a router
    in his hand, with a long extension cord, just to see how it
    got disconnected.

    The caveat is that I may not have fully understood him, as he
    is geeky as can be (phD and all that).

    Whitney Ryan, Jan 9, 2015
  6. Whitney Ryan

    Guest Guest

    basically yes.

    it's a 'feature' of wifi, but it's being used for something other than
    what it was intended.

    the claim is security, but that's bullshit.

    hotels charge hundreds of dollars per *day* to business customers who
    are using the conference rooms and doesn't want anyone to bring their
    own wifi, which is often better than the crap the hotel has.

    Guest, Jan 9, 2015
  7. Whitney Ryan

    chris Guest

    This.

    If hotels or conferences were capable of providing even a remotely
    usable WiFi service for a reasonable cost then everyone would use it.
    However, they think because they have a captured audience they are
    allowed to charge eye-gauging amounts for a 1990's internet experience.

    The FCC should laugh in the hotels' faces and let market forces do their
    bit.

    chris, Jan 12, 2015
  8. I can just see myself in a hotel conference room or sitting outside the
    door, with a battery powered router broadcasting deauthentication
    packets on the same SSID as the hotel.

    Add a few more like minded people with similar hardware and we could
    even start a Denial-of-Service attack in the offending hotel, as far as
    wireless is concerned.

    Then again I was more active in my younger days...

    GlowingBlueMist, Jan 12, 2015
  9. Per Whitney Ryan:
    I guess that's what would keep contrarians from setting up their own
    equipment to do the same thing to the hotel's service...

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 13, 2015
  10. Whitney Ryan

    Savageduck Guest

    guess that fiasco has come to an end.
    <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30827706>

    Savageduck, Jan 16, 2015
  11. Whitney Ryan

    D.F. Manno Guest

    "Marriott would neither confirm nor deny that it is investigating
    turning each of its properties into Faraday cages."

    D.F. Manno, Jan 17, 2015
  12. Whitney Ryan

    pedro Guest

    Bit of an expensive proposition, for the return it is trying to
    protect.

    pedro, Jan 18, 2015