    longer have a graphics card at the moment.
    After many many months I have ran out of ideas. Thanks in advance.
    Mark

    Guest, Apr 19, 2006

  2. Somehow, as much as I like to accuse them of being the problem with things,
    that particular symptom doesn't seem likely. OTOH, turning it off is
    simple - install the software and then uninstall it. Whatever problems it
    causes seem to go away when you do that.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 19, 2006

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    In theory........ could it have an effect on the graphic driver installation
    as I obviously install the motherboard drivers before the graphics card
    drivers?

    Guest, Apr 19, 2006
  5. I suppose it's possible, but I think I'd be looking at other sources. RAM?
    cabling?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you Charlie and Andrea.
    I have done 17hrs of tests on each DIMM of Ram which have also been tested
    by a third party. I have swapped them out so I do not think I have a problem
    with all 4 dimms.
    Charlie, what cables should I consider?

    Mark

    Guest, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Sounds like you've tested the memory, then. (wasn't in the original post)

    Cables. Anything. Especially SATA cables and IDE cables.

    What's the size of the Power Supply on that?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Could this be a frequency problem, then? Motherboard secured properly? Not
    too heavy CPU Cooler? Tried moving the box around the room a bit? Things
    like that.

    And then there's the question of the quality of the power that feeds the
    house?

    Alien invasion???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry Charlie I should have been more specific about what has been tested,
    which is everything except cables.

    It is a Silverstone 650w power supply recomended by Tyan for the board and
    I am running it through a UPS/ surge protector than can delliver up to 1200
    WATTs of clean power to the system and monitors etc.with a back up capacity
    of 650w. Also ran the system minus the UPS and discussed potential problems
    the UPS could cause with the manufacturer, no issue there.

    Hi Tony, we exchanged several posts before Christmas. I had to leave the
    system alone for several months as I was traveling but back on the case now.

    I was the guy with the 2 Dual Core Opterons, 8G of Ram, 3DLabs Realizm 800
    graphics card with twin VPU's and 640MB of DDR3 on board RAM, 4 x 250GB SATA
    HDD's etc.
    Anyway it is still not stable, new MB, new graphics card, 3 different PSU's.
    Ran it in a stripped down configuration, swapped out various conponents.
    Tested, tested and tested.
    Had a professional company take it away, they pointed the graphics card out
    but it arrived back today with the all clear from 3DLabs compatibility
    testing department ,which do not normaly test for the end user but because
    the graphics card keeps getting singled out they helped me out by using their
    version of my MB for the testing.

    If it is not down to the nVidia issue then I will try cables next. After
    that it has to be Aliens.

    Many thanks Guy's.

    Mark

    Guest, Apr 20, 2006
  10. Ah, well - yes I do remember. Welcome back, Mark!

    Your 'maladies' seem so well researched, your own knowledge of your system
    and all it's parts so intimate, that it becomes difficult to think of the
    'next' issue.

    The cables 'Yes', leave no stone un-turned. And, cable routing - how was
    that? signal cables should not run in parallel, and they should not cross
    power leads? I think.

    But what about the building? Is it armoured concrete? Apartment house or
    office building? Probably among the most difficult things to analyze is
    frequency interference in buildings of that kind. You might need an 'army
    freq swat team' to come up with anything decisive. Neighbouring production
    and engineering sites, radio stations, lights, ventilation, elevators,
    plumbing, whatever. With your surge protector and everything, at least the
    'current' issue seems to be remote.

    Faced with all these questions with no apparent answers, I might put
    everything in the back of a Van and run it completely out of the
    environment - a week-end in a quiet country hotel(?) just to prove that it
    can function reliably. (just kidding) You were saying that it had been taken
    away, can you think of any of the parts that they did not take away with
    them that you would take with you if you moved it out yourself? Your
    monitor, probably! Since the graphics card is repeatedly targeted, could it
    be the display that gets it into trouble? Can you put in a substitute?

    Nobody, with a system like that, deserves to go through what you did, Mark.

    Greetings, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 20, 2006
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Tony,

    Frustrating but good to be able to get back to trying to sort this out, my
    time away was unavoidable.

    I have had the system in 2 different countries and 3 different buildings,
    the only common factor being they all had wireless networks.

    To begin with I was using a different monitor whilst waiting for my dual
    monitors to arrive. From the very begining I was never able to get the system
    to boot when using the onboard RAID, it would only boot from RAID 0 on a
    single HDD, any other configuration would leed to a "OS not found" message".
    I gave up on the onboard RAID as I felt trying to boot from 2 x250GB HDD's in
    RAID 1 was probably a bit much but I was still left with an unstable system.

    The only thing that was not taken away was the 2 monitors and the UPS, the
    graphics card can handle 2 Dual Link DVI connections, 2 Single link DVI, 2
    Standard VGA connections and multiple configurations of the above. I am using
    2 Single link DVI cables.

    The company that tested my system still found it unstable so I think that
    discounts the monitors. What they did say is that my system seemed to perform
    fine with their graphics card in it and their 32bit system was fine with my
    card in it........ EXCEPT.... for one fault in dual screen mode, when you
    open up windows security center lines appear across the top third of both
    screens. This happens only in dual screen mode and in my 64bit and their
    32bit. But I think this is the one test 3DLabs did not perform, I hope to
    find out today if they did or not, as at the moment they say there is nothing
    wrong with my card.

    What exactly do you mean by signal cables, I am assuming you mean SATA and
    IDE.

    As far power cables not crossing etc. it is a bit tight inside my case even
    though it is an extended ATX case but I have tried to keep things as neat as
    possible. Putting in 2 HDD coolers allowing me to move 2 HDD's to the 5" bays
    creating better air flow and cable management. The graphics card is so huge
    it really makes things difficult. I replaced my ribbon IDE and FDD cables for
    the rounded variety to safe space an improve air flow. As I was having
    problems before and after I replaced those cables I have discounted those
    cables and I am now looking at replacing the SATA and DVI cables.

    Will try the nVidia theory today as I now have my graphics card back.

    Many thanks again......Mark

    Guest, Apr 20, 2006
  12. Yes, by signal cables, I mean everything that is not supplying current. This
    extends to anything outside the box, potentially.

    But I forgot to ask you:
    "Can you, or have you ever tried to underclock that thing just a bit?"

    I just upgraded one old system with a Athlon XP 2400+ CPU with a new
    Motherboard, I could not get that to run stable at 2000Mhz before. At 1900
    it was O.K. and I ended up running it at 1800 since I couldn't see any
    obvious difference.

    Although your board meets spec's something in your environment may put it
    sufficiently close to it's operating threshold to have things develop it's
    own mind?

    I confess, I am going blank. It would seem that you have done everything
    possible to avoid all the common, and an amazing number of not so common,
    traps. Did you ever try and re-install the system from scratch, and not from
    B/U? Drivers and BIOS we've already covered, I believe.

    I'll be eager to hear of what the Firewall has to say, though. Perhaps you
    can think of an enemy who desperately needs a unique computer? One for life.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 20, 2006
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have to confess I have no idea about over clocking or under clocking, I
    would not know where to start with that one. My Opteron 265's run at just
    over 1800mhz to be exact.

    I have installed from scratch many many times using all of my four hard
    drives, but I have not been aware of the nVidia issue, so my installations
    have been done either with the fire wall installed or with it not installed
    which I believe leaves it half on anyway.

    This will be the first installation from scratch were I will install the
    nVidia firewall and then uninstall it before I proceed with windows update
    and then the graphics driver. I am doing it in that order as I know one of
    the first updates was a improvement to the installer within x64, do not know
    if it matters but I will do it anyway.

    BIOS is the most recent and some of my drivers are only about a month old.

    What does bug me is that 3DLabs still insist there is nothing wrong with my
    card even though it produced the same graphical error I already mentioned in
    dual screen mode in 2 different system running 2 different OS's. They have
    said a lot but have still to confrim if they tried to produce the error, I
    keep asking but I am not getting an answer.

    I will let you know what happens re the fresh installation.....

    Mark

    Guest, Apr 20, 2006
  14. About the clock speeds, I believe if the board supports it, you interface
    with it either through the BIOS or the somewhat older method of setting
    'jumpers' on the board itself - some may use both methods in concert. The
    manufacturer rarely supports it but generally some cursory talk is available
    in the manual. (Board and/or Bios).

    By underclocking 5 to 10 % you can potentially lower the CPU's temperature
    quite a bit and frequency problems may go from troubling to zero - and you
    will never be able to tell the difference except if benchmarking. That is as
    long as the rest of the machine is properly configured and in good shape.

    I wish you the best of luck in your efforts, and while I am not at all
    familliar with the Opterons, I feel I should remind you to install all
    motherboard system drivers - then re-boot and uninstall the firewall,
    re-boot once more and only then continue. I guess that is what you meant to.

    Happy tinkering!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 20, 2006