    I cannot see how that would be done, but then I don't know much about
    how phone systems work!

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Alan

    H.O.G Guest

    Nope, it is referring to number portability between service providers,
    not areas.

    eg. Telecom can't disadvantage you by telling you that you'll lose
    your phone number if you change to Telstra.

    What will be interesting is how they handle it in the cellular world.
    for instance, on my plan it is free to call 021 numbers, however,
    shortly there will be no guarantee that calling an 021 number is
    calling Vodafone, so I wont know whether the call is free or
    expensive.

    It's going to be one big mess.

    H.O.G, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Perhaps they'll introduce non-area specific numbers.

    Presumably you'd have to give up local free calls if they did that
    though.

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Alan

    Richard Guest

    Well with the new fangled IP network that telecom announced yesterday or
    whenever, it should work sweet as.

    What timing, what a coincidence.... wow.

    Richard, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Alan

    Stevesub Guest

    They will change it to free calls to Vodafone numbers, not 021. Our
    mobile number here in Australia was pre-paid Telstra, now on account
    with Vodafone - same number. You get used to it and it is good to get
    the best service provider/plan and keep your number, especially with
    new plans and better plans coming out all the time.

    Stevesub

    Stevesub, Sep 1, 2005
  6. T'was the Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:34:22 +1200 when I remembered "Alan"
    So if I have an 027 then switch to Vodafone, would my number still
    start with 027?

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 1, 2005
  7. Alan

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    Well, a 50%-owned subsidiary of TelecomNZ (TSSC) was selling software to
    do exactly that to the Dutch (with much more population than NZ) in
    1997. It's only gotten easier now.

    Fundamentally it's just a lookup in a database each time a call is made.
    If I was doing it I'd just load the lookup table into RAM and re-read it
    once a day or once an hour or something. It would be maybe 20 MB for
    all NZ landline and cellular numbers even if you stored an entry for all
    the phone numbers that hadn't changed. Mayb that was a lot in 1997 but
    it's nothing now. And there's no need to do that -- you could just have
    a table entry for numbers that *have* moved and assume the number is
    unchanged if it's not found.

    Bruce Hoult, Sep 1, 2005
  8. Alan

    Richard Guest

    Perhaps vodafone will get there shit together and let me take my prepay number
    onto a plan while they are at it :)

    Richard, Sep 1, 2005
  9. Yes, that is the idea.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 1, 2005
  10. Alan

    Peter Guest

    AFAIK there is a similar problem in Australia. AFAIK if you (say) dial a 8
    digit Perth number (with no area code) from a Darwin phone, you will get
    through but still pay.

    Peter, Sep 1, 2005
  11. Alan

    Richard Guest

    Well the whole idea of a local calling area is a con, and hopefully will be
    eliminated by the time telecom get the portability sorted.

    Richard, Sep 1, 2005
  12. I remember about 10-15 years ago various people (including Arthur C
    Clarke) were saying that all phone calls to anywhere in the world should
    be charged on the same flat rate, because the costs to the telcos would
    be the same anyway.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 12, 2005
  13. Sounds little different from the algorithms that Cisco and other
    Internet router vendors would have been using in their products for
    decades.

    Funny how so much of the way the telephone system works looks so stupid
    when compared to the way the Internet does it.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 12, 2005