    so I'm confused - do we have number portability or don't we ?
    which if any VoIP services classify themselves as PATS ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Vonage are working on it in the UK and already have it I believe in the USA.

    Paul Westwell, Jul 23, 2005

  3. they do in the USA, but it's the participation of others that is
    probably the issue. One outfit can never constitute a portability
    scheme.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 23, 2005
  4. True but I guess OFCOM would comedown on heavily on BT for example if they
    resisted number portability with Vonage for example. I cannot see Vonage (or
    other SIP providers) not wanting number portability as I would expect them
    to gain far more then they would lose on entering a new market.

    Paul Westwell, Jul 23, 2005
  5. do Vonage claim to be offerring PATS* in the UK would appear to be the
    question then, if so then portability should be easy.

    * PATS is an EU concept for "publicly available telephone service"
    which has wording around 112/999 emergency calls and other things like
    "resilience of the network". I believe that exclusive use of the
    public internet for connectivity does not meet the resilience
    criteria without a fallover to an analogue line or other circuit.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Phil,

    I'm not sure......

    They do have failover to analogue in the form of if the VOIP is unavailable
    then all calls will be diverted to a number of your choice (not sure if that
    covers the PATS requirement?)

    They also provide 112/999

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Jul 23, 2005
  7. no the PATS requirement would be that I could still make a call if
    their SIP server had taken the day off.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 23, 2005