    any other VOIP provider who will accept the number? I heard Gradwell might.
    Any other ideas how I can do this?

    Joe

    Joe Harrison, Mar 16, 2007

  2. Joe Harrison

    Herman Guest

    Gradwell couldn't do NTL numbers back in August last year (and I don't know
    any VoIP providers that could) but this might have started to change.
    Possibly worth asking again.

    Herman, Mar 16, 2007

  3. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Herman expressed precisely :
    Erm, it's not an NTL number. However, the OP might find he has to port
    it back to BT to allow a VoIP company, such as gradwell.com,
    voipfone.co.uk or voip.co.uk, to actually port it.

    Jono, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Joe Harrison

    Herman Guest

    Good point. Hadn't spotted it was an ex-BT number. In that case, any
    provider doing BT number porting should be able to do it.

    Herman, Mar 16, 2007
  5. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Herman submitted this idea :
    Not necessarily.

    Jono, Mar 16, 2007
  6. Joe Harrison

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Thanks. I've mailed both Gradwell and Sipgate to ask if either of them are
    on for it.

    Joe Harrison, Mar 16, 2007
  7. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Joe Harrison wrote on 16/03/2007 :
    Why Sipgate, when they don't have a porting agreement, even with BT,
    let alone NTL?

    Both voip.co.uk & voipfone have a very good reputation, in addition to
    gradwell.

    Jono, Mar 16, 2007
  8. Joe Harrison

    Paul Cupis Guest

    In what situation would they not be able to port the number from BT?

    Paul Cupis, Mar 17, 2007
  9. Joe Harrison

    Herman Guest

    I did say *should*. But why couldn't they do it? I didn't think there was
    anything less than a 99% chance of success???

    I go with your recommendations of VoIP provider, but it seems to me that OP
    should consider what VoIP provider he wants and then ask them the question.
    If he just wants to hold the number, it is a question of cost only. If he
    wants to use the number for inbound as well then it is quality of service as
    well.

    As it happens, I would endorse the recommendation of voip.co.uk for either
    of these scenarios in a residential set-up. Gradwell are also highly
    thought of by people in this group, particularly for business-grade, but
    they are more pricey. Peter G may even be along in a tick with some advice.

    Herman, Mar 17, 2007
  10. Joe Harrison

    Herman Guest

    I have to agree. My experience of Sipgate is cheap, but not reliably
    cheerful. If quality is not really important to you, then by all means
    choose Sipgate and it may be that you have a service that completely suits
    you. However remember that there are others with better reputations out
    there with equivalent costs. voip.co.uk for example, but I am sure there
    are others as well.

    Message to Ivor/Ron: please do not hijack this thread with petty squabbles.
    Helpful comments ONLY!

    Herman, Mar 17, 2007
  11. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Paul Cupis pretended :
    Ahem. I can't imagine one. Why do you ask?

    The number isn't with BT at the moment - If they don't have a
    "subsequent" porting agreement in place, the number may have to be
    terminated on the BT network in order for the port to go through.

    I recently started the porting process of a non-BT Retail number to
    gradwell - it all fell over because it wasn't a Retail number. This
    number was still on BT's network, with another SP.

    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  12. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Herman submitted this idea :
    That still assumes there's an agreement in place with VirginMedia. It
    is quite new to me - porting to voip - however, all I really meant was
    this: The OP has a BT number, so he's almost completely sure of being
    able to port it to a voip supplier. However, he may have to be prepared
    to port the number to BT first.

    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  13. Joe Harrison

    Paul Cupis Guest

    I was confused by your comment above.
    I was under the impression that having a geographic porting agreement
    allows you to order a subsequent port from the original CP as standard.
    You've made me wonder now, so I may have to check the process manual on
    Monday (unless someone has it to hand and can confirm either way).

    Paul Cupis, Mar 17, 2007
  14. Joe Harrison

    Paul Cupis Guest

    It it is a BT number ported to VirginMedia/NTL and the OP wants to port
    it from BT to another operator, it has got nothing to do with
    VirginMedia/NTL and they are not involved, other than to be told to stop
    trying to bill for service at the date of changeover.

    Paul Cupis, Mar 17, 2007
  15. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote on 17/03/2007 :
    In theory, yes. I doubt that will be the case. For a start, all the
    VoIP companies discussed require the BT account number, I would
    imagine....

    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  16. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Paul Cupis formulated on Saturday :
    I don't have the method to check ATM. If you can get some
    clarification, that would be great.

    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  17. Joe Harrison

    Andy Lord Guest

    I tried to port an ex-BT number from NTL to Voipfone and was told that
    they couldn't do it because they would need to have an agreement with
    both the range holder and the losing operator (NTL).

    I ported it to BT and then immediately ported it out again. Did I read
    somewhere that BT are extending their minimum contract period to
    prevent this happening?

    Andy Lord, Mar 17, 2007
  18. Joe Harrison

    Ivor Jones Guest

    message
    [snip]
    *Please* don't lump me in with Ron, *I* didn't start any petty quabbles,
    he did, so *only* he can finish them.

    Here is a comment, you may or may not find it helpful: I have found
    Sipgate to be completely reliable since upgrades were made to the
    registration servers last year. Ok..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 17, 2007
  19. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Andy Lord formulated the question :
    Yes, I think you might have done - 12 months I think.

    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  20. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Andy Lord expressed precisely :
    Shouldn't really prevent it, though - the charge within the first 9
    months is £18, for a new line.

    For a takeover/reconnection, in month 1, it's £13, in month 2 it's £8.
    Month 3 it appears to be £0.

    There's no mention of having to pay the remainder of 12 months rental.

    <http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Exch_Lines_boo/0002_d0e63.htm#0002-d0e63>

    Jono, Mar 17, 2007