    messages next to the account name when it is collapsed?

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Gerry.

    Gerry, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Gerry

    Moz Champion Guest

    Sure

    At the top of the account listing to the right of Name is a little box
    with a + mark within it. Click on that
    You have a choice of Unread, Total, and Size

    Enable Unread, and an Unread column will appear, showing you the unread
    in each account/folder

    Moz Champion, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Hi Moz, thanks for the reply.
    Maybe(definitely) I am a bit thick. I see a drop-down listbox “View”
    where I can select read, unread, important etc. but this is on a per
    folder basis. I.e. account Gerry has an inbox which shows 1 unread message.
    - Gerry
    - Inbox(1)
    - Drafts
    - Templates
    - Etc.
    When the account is collapsed, only the account name ‘Gerry’ is visible
    which doesn’t indicate the number of unread messages.
    + Gerry
    + Nora
    + Stephen
    etc..
    With a number of accounts I have to expand all accounts and scroll down
    to check everything. I just can’t seem to find the box you are referring
    to:-\

    TIA,
    Gerry.

    Gerry, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Gerry

    Moz Champion Guest

    It would be appreaciatted if you bottom posted, thanks.

    Look ABOVE the accounts, see that area marked Name ? Just to the right
    of that is a little box with the + sign in it. Okay, maybe it doesnt
    look like a + sign to you, its a small squarish icon to the right of the
    name in the account listing, just above the scroll bar for the accounts

    When an account has received new mail, it will be indicated with a green
    arrow, open the account and you can see the unread in each folder of
    that account

    Moz Champion, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Gerry

    Tony Raven Guest

    I'm the same as Gerry. There is no area with name marked on it above
    the accounts list and no box above the scroll bar. The account list
    window abuts straight onto the toolbars. Running TB v1.0

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Feb 10, 2005
  6. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Hi, Moz.

    Bottom post? I always prefer top as you don't have to scroll down a
    lengthy thread in order to read the reply. Anyway that out of the way;
    as the next post (Tony) I don't have this box. Are we both talking
    version 1.0?

    Thanks,
    Bottom posted Gerry:)

    Gerry, Feb 10, 2005
  7. Gerry

    Moz Champion Guest

    What exists between the listing of your first account and the Get Mail icon?

    You are using the 3pane display format correct?
    i.e. account pane subject pane message pane ?

    No scroll bar if your account list doesnt exceed the space available.
    Make the account area smaller (using the second layout in preferences
    [account pane is same size as subject pane]) and you get the scroll bar
    I was referring to. Alternately, make your account listing longer
    (opening all the show all may do it)

    Oh yes, what theme are you using? Switch back to Thunderbird Default
    perhaps, the account pane may not show all headers/columns in other
    themes. Switch back to default theme, engane Unread column for
    accounts, then change back to your preferred theme. See if it sticks.

    Moz Champion, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Gerry

    Moz Champion Guest

    The first rule of newsgroups is... When in Rome, do as the Romans do... <g>

    The usual (most common) format for newsgroups is bottom post, this
    maintains the entire thread in the order it was written, question,
    followed by answer and so on, top to bottom.

    In technical support groups, or where tech support questions are
    answered (such as in this group), this format is especially favoured as
    it eases the burden of followup. The people who answer your post are
    not familiar with all aspects of your problem, so along with no editing,
    the bottom post guide assists, because then they can simply scroll up in
    one message and read whats been done or asked previously in the thread.
    If all replies are bottom posted, then one can read the entire
    'conversation' just by starting at the top and reading.

    You dont want to scroll use page down or page end or simply hit the
    space bar until you are at the bottom.

    See my reply to Tony, you using a different theme than default maybe?

    Moz Champion, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Gerry

    Tony Raven Guest

    Yes, in Classic View
    The scroll bar is there, just nothing between it and the toolbar
    I'm using Littlebird theme but have tried the default - no difference.
    Still no boxes over the folder pane.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Feb 11, 2005
  10. Gerry

    Tony Raven Guest

    Sorted. You need to go to Tools/Options/Advanced and tick the "Show
    expanded columns in folder pane" under General Settings to get the boxes
    you are talking about.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Feb 11, 2005
  11. Gerry

    Tony Raven Guest

    Not sorted! All that option does is create columns in which you can
    display the number of unread messages, the total number of messages or
    the size. If you collapse the account it does not show the number of
    unread messages against the account, which is what Gerry was looking for
    I think. In that respect it just takes up extra space over the
    bracketed numbers you get after each folder indicating the number of
    unread messages.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Feb 11, 2005
  12. Gerry

    Moz Champion Guest

    Perhaps if you hadnt snipped you would have found your answer, it was in
    one of my replies

    Moz Champion, Feb 12, 2005
  13. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Hi Moz,
    It is exactly as Tony says. I have read all your replies but I don't
    recall a solution. I don't think there is an answer so I am giving up.
    Thanks anyway for the trouble,
    Gerry.

    Gerry, Feb 12, 2005
  14. Gerry

    Tony Raven Guest

    Having read Moz's replies I think he means that a small green arrow
    appears on the account folder when it has unread mail but that has
    nothing to do with the box at the top of the pane - the green arrow is
    there whether or not an "unread messages" column is created. The unread
    messages column just replaces the number in brackets after a folder and
    takes up more room to do so.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Feb 12, 2005
  15. Gerry

    Moz Champion Guest

    You keep snipping so its impossible to follow the discussion. I simply
    dont have the time to re-read every thread just to get an idea of what
    the original question was, what was suggested and so-on

    The message subject seems to have been answered (number of unread) and
    without the statements you edited out, I cant say whether or not the
    discussion of the green arrow is even pertinant. What box at the top of
    the page?

    You want someone to assist you, please make it a little easier by not
    snipping thanks

    Moz Champion, Feb 25, 2005